Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rubble and cement wall colors

July 27 2003 at 6:55 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 202.156.2.211

Hi,

I would like to know what colors I should use to paint rubble from buildings. What about the cement wall color of the bunker during the Omaha beach invasion? I use Tamiya colors, any suggestions on what colors I can use?

Peace,
Aidil

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

for the bunkers :

July 27 2003, 12:24 PM 

Hello,
the bunkers on the normandy beaches were camouflaged. The germans used camouflagenets, earthbanks against the walls or paint; you can use brown, green, sandcolor etc., depending on the color of the surrounding ground.
pascal bastiaens

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Rubble and cement wall colors

July 28 2003, 3:40 AM 

Just as Pascal already mentioned, German bunkers in WWII were usually camouflage-painted, as well as dug into the ground and further hidden with camouflage nets where this was appropriate. Patterns varied depending on the area the bunker was in (after all, a bunker doesn't move, so it could be painted to match its terrain), including fairly exotic patterns: there are several photos of a still-existing bunker in my town that has plants painted on it, for example.

As for colors, they were pretty much the same as those used on stereotypical WWII German tanks, I think: dark yellow with green and brown camouflage. For the dark yellow, Tamiya's color by that name seems a good match (which I say based on examining a few square meters of original paint on a bunker just last week), though you may want to make it a bit more tan than yellow (adding in some Dark Earth might do the trick). The brown seems to have been a fairly chocolate brown (again based on some small samples of the real thing, though the ones I examined had been exposed to the weather for 60 years); starting with Tamiya red brown and adding some black will probably get you close. I haven't found any green samples yet, but then, I haven't really looked for any, either

The interior of German bunkers was flat white, but the entrance had a triangular area of dark yellow, running from the top of the doorway down; examine some of the photos at http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/afv/bunkers to see what I mean.

As for rubble from a building, it would generally have the same color as the materials used to construct that building: brick red if the building is made from red bricks, etc., but remember that a collapsing building produces a LOT of dust, that will cover pretty much everything. I think you'd need to decide what color the dust would most likely be, after which you can paint (airbrush?) most of the rubble and surrounding areas with that.

Respond to this message   
Ed Gilbert
(no login)

raw concrete

July 28 2003, 2:26 PM 

Main thing to remember is it's not pure gray, but has a brownish tinge from the weathering of iron minerals. Floquil railroad colors has a very good color called Concrete to replicate the broken edges or just unpainted concrete.

Respond to this message   
Paul Hanson
(no login)

gray and brown concrete

August 17 2003, 6:15 PM 

The brown is not from iron minerals, but from the coarse aggregate used. Gray concrete is tinted that way from the limestone aggregate while brownish tinted concrete is colored from the river gravel used.

PH

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Rubble and cement wall colors
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse