Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

dry brushing dioramas having problems

August 27 2003 at 12:48 PM
talino bruno  (no login)
from IP address 209.52.39.97

I am having trouble brybrushing both ground cover and grass. The first problem is that I lay some dilute white glue then sprinkle ground cat litter looks great but when I drybrush chunks of teh stuff come off leaving the white plaster showing through. the same with grass I drybrush and it rips the stuff out. Any suggestions

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

spray white glue

August 28 2003, 3:41 AM 

I use white glue heavily dilutet with water and spray it generously with an simple airbursh over the entire groundwork - not so much to get it swimming, but several times after each layer has dried. never again had problems with some parts coming off

regards
ulrich

Respond to this message   

(no login)

another idea

August 28 2003, 4:50 PM 

What I do is first cover the entire area to be covered with grass, dirt and etc with white glue. I then place the grass and dirt onto the base and let dry. Some times I'll spray with diluted white glue next and sprikle some more dirt and grass on..just to cover it all. Then to ensure it holds well once that is dry I spray the entire thing with hair spray (my wifes of course) and let that dry. Then I paint.

Hope this helps

Bart.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Pre-color...

August 29 2003, 5:18 AM 

Pre-color the medium for the groundwork you are using ( i.e. plaster, Celluclay, epoxy, etc) with the right acrylic color. Also mix some of the groundwork material you are using ( i.e cat litter, static grass, sand, pebbles, etc) into the wet ground work mix. Lay it down then let it completely dry. After dry, then layer your second covering of groundwork ( grass, litter, etc) using model railroad ballast glue. Its ready to use, can be thinned with water, and dries completely clear/flat. Paint your second layer gently with an airbrush or well diluted paint by brush. Once dry, shadow with an airbrush. When drybrushing, use an extremely light touch, which may require 3-4 passes. You will lose some ground work in the process, but the basecoat will hold up and any repairs will be at a minimum.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: dry brushing dioramas having problems

October 13 2003, 11:44 AM 

The thing that I always do is:
Take some white glue and thin it down so it almost looks like milk. ( I mean the thickness)
Then cover every thing with this water/glue mixture.
When dry, mostly I wait 24 hours.
Then you can undercoat en drybrush it as normal, and nothing will come off anymore, if you are using heavy gravel then the best thing is to aply 2 layers of glue.

SO i hope that i could help you with it.

Greetz
Manuel de Jong

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - dry brushing dioramas having problems
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse