Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Looking for thin Walnut Hollow bases ...

March 9 2006 at 9:08 AM
  (Login rmfield)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 130.76.32.15

I have some oval wooden display bases, 3" x 5" and approx. 5/16" thick, from Walnut Hollow. I called them yesterday to order some more, and was informed they no longer make the thin plaques in the smaller sizes; they're all over 1/2" thick now.

The thin ones make really nice little display bases for smaller-scale models, especially with the nicely shaped edge. Does anyone know where I can find a stash of these, or have some suggestions for commercial alternatives? The thick bases really just don't do it for me.

TIA for any help!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login jamesguld)
Missing-Lynx members

What about....

March 14 2006, 7:22 AM 

If your willing to do a little finishing work then craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby have small unfinished bases that I've seen in the stores. I don't know the exact thickness of the wood but it looked to be under 1/2". They are usually in pine but you could stain and clear coat them. One other possibility is if you have a trophy shop near you. They would be more but would be finished.
HTH
Jim Guld

Respond to this message   

(Login DocWiseman)
Missing-Lynx members

Thinner bases are getting hard to find all over

May 4 2006, 3:32 PM 

I do some custom cabinet work. Many of the companies that made bases are finding that thinner pieces of wood are getting harder to keep flat. The wood is being harvested and milled so quickly that the wood is often still very "wet" when it gets to the dealers. After planing it down I'm finding a lot of warping and cupping of the planks. 1/2 inch is about the thinnest I'll go with even the best hardwoods. The other option is Basswood bases from various art supply stores. Means some sanding, staining and varnishing to get them done but they are available down to 1/4 inch thick.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Looking for thin Walnut Hollow bases ...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse