Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pacific Groundwork

April 11 2007 at 6:36 AM
Mario Navas  (Login mnavas76)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 64.12.117.18

Hello Everyone,

I am close to finishing a small dio set in the pacific, the Phillipines to be exact. This is actually my first venture into the PTO and I have no idea how to go about groundwork. For foliage I was thinking aquarium bits repainted or some other sort of fake plants, but I'm at a total loss as far as the terrain is concerned. I did a search and found some pics of the Phillipines and all but I could use a hand with deciding how to go about replicating the look. I'd appreciate any help you all could give me.

Thanks in Advance,

Mario

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lynn S Kessler
(Login LynnKessler)
Missing-Lynx members

The "Look"?

April 11 2007, 8:04 PM 

I'm not really sure what that means. The vegetation was tropical for the most part, with some deciduous trees here and there, and the soil for the was good for farming, or growing rice. Dole Pineapple even had a vast plantation on the island of Mindano. So unless you're trying to replicate the rocky island of Corregidor, with it's cavernous Malinta Tunnel, I'd treat it as general groundwork.

Lynn Kessler

Respond to this message   
Lee Swift
(Login Brainsnaffler)
Missing-Lynx members

What I would do

April 13 2007, 11:45 AM 

I found aquarium plants are a great source for jungle foliage when I was building jungle sections for my PTO wargame. You can space out the plants with a bit of litchen (available mainly where you buy train models from). The thing that makes it stand out and immediately identifiable though is the palm tree. I browsed through an article in the Millitary Modelling magazine I think it was, where the guy got a thin brass rod (though I think you could use other things at a pinch) and wrapped rope around it. He then covered it in what looked like thinned epoxy putty to lessen the ridges in the rope and then painted it. For leaves he bought photo etch, but you can make them by getting any large, green artificial leaves and cutting lots of tiny lines in the edges of them.

If you don't want to spend forever making foliage, break it up with another feature like a bit of water, a tunnel entrance, a spider hole, or have the scenery blasted apart by artillery.

Hope this helps?

Let us all know how you get on

Lee :0)

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse