Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any good ideas on how to make palm fronds for

November 29 2007 at 3:26 PM
  (Login grunt26)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 75.128.131.36

a WWII Pacific vignette?? I've got a 120mm figure of a USMC sniper, and just need to figure out the best way to make palm fronds. I was going to try paper and some copper wire for the "stalk", just haven't gotten there just yet. I am staying away from PE products as they always appear two-dimensional in 1/35, let alone in this scale.
Thanks for any help,
Rod

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve May
(Login smay)
Missing-Lynx members

Palm Fronds

November 30 2007, 9:33 AM 

Rod this appeared in a book on dioramas some years ago and I have used this technique to my satisfaction several times. I agree that PE leaves seem to be a bit one dimensional.
The approach is take a piece of wire about the thickness that is used in bread ties. Place the wire down the sticky side center of a piece of masking or drafting tape. Place another piece of tape sticky side to sticky side with the wire in between. Press tightly and smooth out any air bubbles and then take a pair of scissors and cut the shape and size of the palm frond desired and then carefully cut the leaves of the palm frond. The wire will allow you to bend and form the stem or stalk of the fronds in different configerations. When it comes to base of stalks I have used different diamemters of carved dowel. Small holes drilled in the dowel allows for placement of the wire leaf(frond) stem. Hope this might work for you.

Steve

Respond to this message   

(Login grunt26)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks, Steve

December 1 2007, 9:34 AM 

That sounds like a great idea. I have an article in a Tamiya magazine using cartridge paper and wire, but I like the masking tape idea a lot better as it sounds like you get the proper "thickness" on the stalk on both sides.
I will definately be giving this a go!
Thanks for the response.
Rod

Respond to this message   

(Login J.Chaica)
Missing-Lynx members

Alternative to wire

January 23 2008, 2:27 AM 

Instead of using a wire, you could use Evergreen´s "L" section. Specially if you´re doing some loose leafs.

Respond to this message   

(Login viper29_ca)
Missing-Lynx members

Kamazukuri Laser Cut Paper Products

November 30 2007, 9:56 AM 

If you can find a place here in NA that sells them. I do, but I didn't bring in the Palm Fronds on my first order.

Check them out: http://www.kamizukuri.jp/diorama/diorama_goods.html

They do Palm Fronds, but also do a Jungle pack. And before you say "they look complicated", they really aren't, really , really easy to build. And you get alot for your money.

I just brought a few in to try, and I am almost sold out already. I had a customer call me that was interested in the Tulips, wanted to know how many you get in a package, so I opened one up for him and the Tulips you get enough for 70 flowers. So if the rest of the packages are as generous, these are really a great deal, and look awesome!!

Thanks
Scott Millican
Elm City Hobbies

Respond to this message   

(Login grunt26)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Scott

December 1 2007, 9:35 AM 

I checked ou the link you provided, and "WOW!" doesn't quite cover it! Those look amazing!
Do you have a website for your store?
Thanks for the response,
Rod

Respond to this message   

(Login viper29_ca)
Missing-Lynx members

No Website Yet....but

December 2 2007, 7:16 AM 

A friend of mine is allowing me to use part of his forum to advertise my wares.

http://valleymodellers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7

I unfortunately didn't bring in the Jungle pack or the Palm Fronds though.

Respond to this message   

(Login Parkadge1)
Missing-Lynx members

Just increase the scale...

December 4 2007, 11:51 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login grunt26)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks, Pat

December 4 2007, 4:25 PM 

Missed that article. Great stuff...many thanks!
Rod

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Any good ideas on how to make palm fronds for
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse