Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

hansa question

November 25 2008 at 10:43 AM
robert maxwell  (Login robtlmax)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 72.93.167.166

i am in process of building my first hansa kit it is the raf field or maintance building not having seen actual raf or usac buildings how were they constructed ie pour conrete cinder blocks bricks etc and were they covered in stucco what colour were they painted?

thanks for any help

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John Peto
(Login sanguin)
Missing-Lynx members

Airfield buildings-when and where is important.

November 27 2008, 2:13 AM 

I do not know the hansa kits, but I believe that one is a control tower and the other a maintainence building.
If this is correct then they date from the late 1920s onward for the control tower and from 1900 for the maintainence building if in Europe.
There are lots of photographic references in black and white for the RAF airfield buildings in Britain; I don't know about the USAAF/USAF records. RAF bases in Asia, Northern India, the Middle East and Africa were quite different as they were built of local materials.
Try these links:
http://flickr.com/photos/alvaropics/sets/72157607452694598/comments/

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/Site%20Map.htm

http:// www.airfield-research-group.co.uk

Also Google 'RAF airfield buildings' for more links.

Most RAF buildings constructed in the 1920s and 1930s were built of brick with tiled pitched roofs; control towers may also have been built of concrete or cinder blocks and then skimmed with a cement render. Generally the brick was brownish-red with some ares having a lighter red colour (brick colour depends upon clays and firing with variations across the country, depending upon where bricks were made). Window frames were often metal ('Crittall windows', worth a google) but may be wood, usually painted white. In 1938-39 many buildings were camouflaged with green, brown, dark grey or black paint. This was done in almost random curved patterns (see RAF aircraft camo upper surfaces for some ideas) using whatever paints were available. The finish was poor, faded quite quickly on some buildings but more slowly on others and wasn't always completed or even started on smaller structures. Hangars got priority.
Wartime buildings constructed in the UK were brick, cement or cinder block or wooden with tile, concrete slab, corrugated iron or wood and tar-paper roofs. Finish was often poor. Timber buildings were often painted with creosote, giving a dark brown colour. This applied to both the RAF and all other air forces based in the UK.

Hope this helps, maybe someone somewhere can hep you with the American structures outside of the UK.
John

Respond to this message   
robert maxwell
(Login robtlmax)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks

November 28 2008, 4:01 PM 

the kit is basically like a lego system with blocks thata resemble cinder blocks, i will be making it in an raf setting with maintance wqipment aroundit ie fire extingshuses wheeled typ some tools and maybe a chair and jeep or ambulance my mother sas sgt in womens transport corp during ww2 drove many different vehciles including large truck 5 and 10 ton lorries and even sherman tanks

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse