Home > Discussion Groups > Dioramas

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=78970&messageid=1113823195
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

a real CRY for HELP!

August 29 2001 at 3:12 PM
  (Login eyalrein)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 62.0.149.35

hello!
I have a big problem with painting a building.
I just can't get the color of it right, I've painted it this afternoon for the 5th time, and still it's not it.
please, someone help me! I've detailed it, did an interior, everything, but the paint...
the house is based on one of verlinden's german store ruins.
the color is beige, somewhat offwhite yellowish.
I've tried white, gray, two shades of very pale brown (looked purple), and stone.
I would really appretiate number and quantities of humbrol (if it's possible).
I'm aiming on the pale house, or something like marijn van gils' color (the left house).
please help!
thanks in advance... eyal.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Did you prime it? n/t

August 29 2001, 3:20 PM 

n/t

Respond to this message   

(Login eyalrein)
Missing-Lynx members

prime

August 30 2001, 6:36 AM 

hi,
I did prime, in light gray primer.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Its Impossibe....

August 30 2001, 4:31 AM 

I'm sure all would love to help...but the 'color' you strive for is only known to your eye or imagination...if you are looking for a light beige type...try a sand color...wash with thin burnt umber...then dry brush with successive shades of lightened khaki....

Respond to this message   

(no login)

a proposal

August 30 2001, 9:22 AM 

i strongly suggest you to read the first pages of Verlinden Way volI, its the most easy method to go, i dont have it with me now but i think it will be easy for you to find it, if my memory serves well he uses Humbrol matt29 as base and drybrushes with matt 72, thats a quick response , good luck

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Khaki Drill Humbrol #72

August 30 2001, 10:13 PM 

Hi,
another alternative is to airbrush the building Humbrol #72 and wash it with raw umber oil paint (after the base coat has cured).

Cheers,
Gary

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Have you tried masonry paints?

September 4 2001, 7:05 AM 

If you go to your local DIY shop, they will have matchpots of masonry paint. These are cheap (much cheaper than Humbrol!) and come in colours which, for obvious reasons, are suitable for your purpose. They dry completely matt. I've used them successfully.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

houses

September 7 2001, 6:27 AM 

I completely agree with F. Michaels on this one, but when it's your first one it can be good to have a leed to follow. So here is how I did my "left" house (as far as I can remember...)

Sorry, but I airbrush with Tamiya acrylics...
I first undercoated everything with a very dark brown (flatt brown + flat black). Over this, I put slightly transperant coats of mostly beige tints, lighting up the building with every pass. I don't remember which colours I used, but I'm sure Buff was very imortant (humbroll matt 187 has about the same appearance). I also misted over greys, browns and greens in a very transperant way to get more colour variation. Stone details are sprayed more greyish. The plaster inside got an overspray of very light grey.
Bricks and interior details are painted by hand with Humbrolls.
Everything got a was with burnt uber oil paint, and details and structural lines were lined. Drybrushing, adding some rain streaks, finishing some details and it's finished!

A building always looks very fake when undercoated in one colour. Therefor, it is best to work with thin coats over each other, trying to get a lot of dept in it. If you don't own an airbrush, you can also achieve this purely wit the weathering stage.

Hope this helps, good luck with it!

Marijn

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - a real CRY for HELP!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse