Crosman Nitro Review.June 22 2009 at 6:13 PM
Steve in CT (Login q1q)
This is a short review of the Crosman NITRO Piston .22 Rifle. A Nitro piston is another description of the well known and well liked Gas ram piston. Instead of a steel spring that eventually tires or breaks, the nitro piston is a self contained unit which when compressed stores up energy similar to a coiled up spring. That energy gets unleashed with the trigger pull to compress the air in front of it and push the pellet out.
Unlike regular springers, the NITRO piston can stay cocked in hunting situations for long periods of time, without worrying about the spring taking a set.
There are claims that a gas piston has a shorter lock time (Time it takes the pellet to leave the rifle). Shorter lock time means shorter time the rifle dynamics can act on the pellet to affect accuracy. This at least in theory, I am no expert on this.
The rifle out of the box comes with a 3-9x40 center point scope with fair clarity and target knobs that can be adjusted by finger clicking. The plus for me it is also a mildot.
In the box you will also find one piece mounts with scope stop capability. On the rifle near the rear top there is a hole to accept the scope stop screw residing inside the ring and not visible when mounted. Dovetailing is smooth and nice.
The synthetic stock is of higher quality seen on much higher priced rifles and it also has raised dimple checkering at the hold places for a firm hold.
The rifle comes with a shroud but I am not sure hw much it does to the report. To my ears it sounds like an out of the box Beeman RX-2.
The trigger is a two stage one with a heavy first stage but well defined. The second stage out of the box broke at around 5 lbs of pull but there is an adjustment screw for second stage fine tuning.
Cocking this rifle is very smooth and lighter than an RX model.
The rifle weighs around 9.3 lbs with the mounts and scope attached.
A quick run over the chrony produced this velocities with Crosman premiers 14.3 gr pellets.
763 Almost 18 ft-lbs of energy
And these with 21 gr Kodiaks.
574 Less power than the CPs only ~ 15.5 ft-lbs
With the scope quickly mounted and a target placed at 15 yards it seems the rifle likes the Kodiaks better than the premiers. Here is the groups.
Is this rifle worth the money? Based on the workmanship, the power and accompanying accessories and if the accuracy holds out to 30 yards (My personal springer limit) I would say its worth more. Photo's accuracy test
Yellow Forums Administrator
|This message has been edited by q1q on Apr 23, 2010 11:36 AM|
- Nitro review - Jack Sowell on Jun 22, 2009, 6:22 PM
- Good review Steve - Keith in West Virginia on Jun 22, 2009, 6:23 PM
- here's the criteria for the raffle Steve... - WVscott on Jun 22, 2009, 6:25 PM
- Raffle - Carl on Jun 22, 2009, 6:33 PM
- How about - Jon B. on Jun 23, 2009, 12:32 AM
- how about - wayne on Jun 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
- I'll take it - email sent.... - James Brinkley on Jun 22, 2009, 6:26 PM
- Thanks for the review. - Don C on Jun 22, 2009, 6:26 PM
- I suggest you give it to somebody.... - Murad on Jun 22, 2009, 6:28 PM
- Great! - daveshoot on Jun 22, 2009, 6:29 PM
- Can I tempt you with some nice... - Adam SoCal on Jun 22, 2009, 6:31 PM
- Thanks Steve, - Tim Meredith on Jun 22, 2009, 6:31 PM
- You LUCKY DOG!!!!!! Sounds like a winner Steve! - Tony on Jun 22, 2009, 6:31 PM
- If you have a chance for a couple more shots, Steve, it might be interesting... - Steve in NC on Jun 22, 2009, 6:33 PM
- because of our gracious and giving spirit - chuck on Jun 22, 2009, 6:33 PM
- You do have strong argument there Chuck, it was sad reading that...nt - Tony on Jun 22, 2009, 6:36 PM
- Hear, hear....I third that suggestion... - Matthew Noe on Jun 22, 2009, 6:44 PM
- Excellent idea! - Carl on Jun 22, 2009, 7:02 PM
- +1 - Astro on Jun 22, 2009, 7:07 PM
- +2 - poppquiz on Jun 22, 2009, 9:33 PM
- +3 - Rugerat on Jul 1, 2009, 6:28 PM
- Re: because of our gracious and giving spirit - M'hackett on Jun 22, 2009, 8:28 PM
- Now I like that idea - Photo22 on Jun 22, 2009, 8:38 PM
- thats a great idea - mike on Jun 22, 2009, 9:11 PM
- Good idea- I was gonna suggest a younger guy but with liability etc Joe is a good choice - tallpaul on Jun 23, 2009, 6:33 AM
- sell raffle tickets - James Brinkley on Jun 22, 2009, 6:36 PM
- I agree - zoned on Jun 22, 2009, 6:46 PM
- Good review Steve - Mark Kauffman on Jun 22, 2009, 6:48 PM
- Good review - A.Z. on Jun 22, 2009, 6:54 PM
- Make it a loaner. - matt saenz on Jun 22, 2009, 6:54 PM
- Good news - JMB on Jun 22, 2009, 6:54 PM
- Any markings on the scope??? - Mike melick on Jun 22, 2009, 6:58 PM
- Tough call... - itetcboo on Jun 22, 2009, 7:09 PM
- Neat looking gun Steve. - arbiter17 on Jun 22, 2009, 7:14 PM
- Let's make it easy. Just give it to me. Thanks. nt - Mike in NC on Jun 22, 2009, 7:27 PM
- Give it to somebody that doesn't have a airgun - Anonymous on Jun 22, 2009, 7:36 PM
- Give it to me...pics... - John Ulrich on Jun 22, 2009, 8:13 PM
- Re: Crosman Nitro Review. - jeff124 on Jun 22, 2009, 8:15 PM
- Nice, mid 700s with a 14.3 puts in right in Supersport territory - M'hackett on Jun 22, 2009, 8:18 PM
- Draw names - Justin on Jun 22, 2009, 8:26 PM
- I think R. B.'s Idea is the most fair to all - smith on Jun 22, 2009, 8:44 PM
- possible further testing... - Arnold Smith on Jun 22, 2009, 8:45 PM
- Is it Safe to Fill to 2100 psi? - Adam SoCal on Jun 22, 2009, 9:16 PM
- Great review Steve..looking forward to more.... - Jamie on Jun 22, 2009, 9:27 PM
- several good suggestions have been made - Mike S in CO on Jun 22, 2009, 10:39 PM
- Re: Crosman Nitro Review. - Joe on Jun 22, 2009, 11:40 PM
- Steve any cub or boy scouts around your area. - Raymond Pratt on Jun 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
- Another vote for Joe C. - Sasquatch on Jun 23, 2009, 12:20 AM
- maybe match it to a member against their looks- I'd stand a chance - that thing is ugly! - tallpaul on Jun 23, 2009, 6:31 AM
- Looks good, and no complaining - Jay on Jun 23, 2009, 11:13 AM
- Yes put my name in the hat... please - Mach-1 on Jun 25, 2009, 11:20 PM
- i say raffle or silent auction with the proceeds - john donovan on Jun 26, 2009, 12:09 AM
- btw tomorrow is my birthday - Bud W on Jun 27, 2009, 8:39 PM