Return to Index  

The FX Independence - A first day Review (pic intensive)

June 12 2010 at 9:23 PM

Steve in CT  (Login q1q)

So the long wait is over. The highly anticipated FX Independence arrived, how appropriate, a few weeks short of July 4th.

It is no secret that FX of Sweden is on top of my list when it comes to quality
Precharged Airguns. FX president and owner Fredrik Axelson is a very involved individual In his company and products, he oversees design and production from beginning to end. He also happened to be a perfectionist that heavily test his products before releasing.

With all this in mind I have high expectations when I receive a box containing an FX product. I yet have to be disappointed, the Independence is no exception. A rifle that would proudly join its older brothers, the Cyclone, FX Monsoon semiauto, Revolution and royale , to uphold the FX reputation of quality, accuracy and performance.

The Indy is designed to be a hunter. It will serve that function extremely well even
Though some people will find its 9.5 lb plus scoped weight on the heavy side. It is something that can be remedied by attaching swivels and a sling for extended excursions.

One plus aspect to the weight is the fact that the gun balances very well just behind the gauge (see pic 1 below where the gun rests in the shooters palm). This is excellent news for off hand shooters. The extra weight with the great balance offers more stability.

[linked image]

The composite stock has a very nice thumbhole configuration. Mine came with an adjustable butt plate. Combined with the cheek peace rest will provide for a quite natural, custom and personal fit to individual shooters.
Even though I appreciate wood, I am into guns for the shooting. Having an option between wood and synthetic I opt for synthetic to save on weight and not worry about warping and tensing the gun shifting the POI etc.

[linked image]

The on-board pump is an engineering marvel in my opinion. Having used other pumping rifles that do not even achieve half the power of the independence, I am short of amazed of its functionality. Other rifles get progressively difficult to pump as the number of pumps increases. Not the independence, the 15th pump is almost as easy as the first.

The rifles ergonomics are amazing. The pump handle is angled slightly outwards. Pumping is achieved by holding the forearm with the left hand, the pumping arm with the right and extending both in a butterfly motion. Difficulty is like the second or 3rd pump of a Benjamin throughout.

Click to watch pumping video:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/vrakaboy/?action=view&current=indy.mp4

[linked image]

The side lever cocking is identical to the successful FX Royale design and functions flawlessly with the 12 shot FX magazine. (housing made of metal)

[linked image]

[linked image]

The on board gauge is oversized compared to previous FX models and has more granularity. Very easy to read and reacts to each pump with precision.

[linked image]

The rifle is stamped for 200 Bar max fill. I found 220 to be a better combination.
My rifle out of the box got 32 ft-lbs of energy which can be increased to 40 by adjusting the rear hammer spring. All this amazing power with a whisper quiet operation out of the baffleless shroud. The shroud OD is 1" and longer than the T12 whisper making the overall length 43". Honestly this is a very quiet rifle comparing to an R7 (HW30).

The rifle can be manually pumped to 220 bar easily. The onboard block is only 20 or 22cc approximately (PCPs have on an average 250cc reservoirs). This is great because it frees you from the expense of a pump or a tank.

If you do have a tank and are prone to use it, the male foster quick fill nipple serves 2 purposes. It is conveniently located on the bottom of the rifle and can be used to bring the gun up to 220 bar OR be hooked to a 220 bar scuba tank and be used for long bench shooting sessions without lifting of the sand bags or refilling.

[linked image]

The 2 stage trigger is comparable to a record trigger with a lighter 1st stage pull of about 8 0z and a very crisp 8 oz second stage which greatly aids in my opinion to the rifles accuracy.

[linked image]

The Pumping mechanism creates heat as most pumpers do. I would tend to think
most water accumulation gets vaporized and expelled due to the small reservoir block (20cc). A factory test gun when taken apart after 8000 shots showed little sign of moisture inside.

Now down to brass tags and where the rubber meets the road. If you are a crow fly away, if you are a squirrel head for higher ground, this side of 75 yards you are toast and your independence would be gone together with your life. This rifle will not miss you.

This can is a very small 6 oz can placed on a stick at 75 yards. It was not missed ones.

[linked image]

I had about one hour for shooting and the groups below are the first out of this stock gun, deliberately did not clean the barrel and did not weigh or sort my pellets. The rifle happens to like the 2 pellets I tried and that matter to me. 18 gr JSBs and 21 gr Kodiaks.

If you pump to 220 bar you can shoot 5 pellets without pumping and have all your shots go into a group that can be covered with a US nickel. Pump it 15 easy pumps and you are back to 220 bar, verified by a glance on the gauge. This folks is 33 ft-lbs of energy our British brothers would kill to have. You can walk in the woods and get off 5 shots of hunting without pumping. Restoring the rifle for another 5 is a peace of cake.

Sighting in to hit one half mildot down at 50 yards it hits half a mildot up at 25 and makes for a nice flat shooting every where in between.

Description is written on the targets and the breeze was variable today, not a calm day up on the hill. A few groups were shot with pumping the rifle 3 times after each shot. Sometimes I needed a 4th pump to get it back to 220.

Here they are as I shot them. Some are dupes covered with a coin and without.

These kodiaks at 50 yards produced a 0.5 groups.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I will put more facts as the rifle breaks in and I get more familiar with it.
Keep them in the killzone and only you claim your Independence. (Imported by Airguns of Arizona )

Steve
Yellow Forums Administrator
http://www.yellowforum.com

This message has been edited by q1q on Jun 15, 2010 9:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.