Return to Index  

Prob w/ HDD was likely MY FAULT.

September 17 2011 at 5:50 PM

Buzzard Lunchyear  (Login buzzardslunch)

Seems like i had a simple lubrication problem that was causing each successive cocking to get worse;

I polish out the hammer tubes on my guns w/ mothers billet and then i dont lube them,
[per instructions from Daystate on polishing their slingshot, they advise leaving it dry so lube wont attract lead dust to valve stem etc.].

Yesterday, after approximately 200 faultless shots w/ HDD, the cocking pull started getting really hard.

I tried lubing w/ graphite and it got worse. [i Dont like to put oil near valve Orings].

I stripped and cleaned whole hammer assembly, and tried it dry, no help.

Tried to lube w/ remington dri lube, [coats w/ teflon] for marginal initial improvement, followed by return to poor form.

Tried again today w/ 3 in 1 oil on striker and bolt channel and it seems to be working smoothly again [fingers crossed].

I think the initial break-in phase w/ HDD caused some wear in the hammer tube, [i could see it in the tube]
maybe some shavings/ detritus accumulation in the striker tube messed up the glide, then my graphite gummed it up some more,
and the teflon coating was not up to the job. The 3 in one seems to be working. next time i strip i'll buy and put some moly.

I did not try change the set screw on the HDD, as length/tolerance seemed least likely problem given nobody else has had an issue with it.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.