Return to Index  

Funny you should ask !

April 7 2012 at 5:51 PM

Dave  (Login greasy46)
YF

Response to Who here has downgraded or sold most of their collection?

I was just about to step out to photograph some for sale (still am ) I have to agree with Gaines, although I have nowhere near his collection or quality. Nonetheless, i did collect and was fascinated by classic and antique springers, just the quality stuff. When the bug bit me, I had to try them all (*well, lots...) and eventually found that while I did admire and cherish them all, only a few got shot regularily enough to justify keeping them.
What really became my hallmark moment of realizing I had too many was when I added up the cost (I kept records of all sales) I realized that although I had always lusted over a fine english double rifle in a classic African calibre, I could never afford one. However, in just 5 years of collecting, I had spent over the cost of one on airguns alone. Bit by bit, it adds up.
A couple of years ago I too adopted the "one in, one out" technique of collecting, in order to keep things realistic. I use this principal in all areas of my life, as I am nearing retirement and dont want a huge pile of things to weigh me down, so to speak.
I am now happy with 2 TX's mk1 and mk3, a Webley mk3 and a Waklther LG55 Tyrolean. I do not forsee ever buying another, and will be listing a bunch later this week.
I am forever gratefull that I got to experience so many wonderfull rifles, the joy of ownership, and in many cases, the fun of restoring them. I am nowhere near done with Air Rifles, (I shoot em every day) but I have found what i like, and what suites me. And usually made my money back, so the hobby has actually cost very little. Hard to beat a hobby like that , eh ?

Respond to this message   

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.