Return to Index  

New Gun (Whooppie...and BooHoo)

May 10 2012 at 8:55 PM
robert  (Login gubb33ps)
YF

New gun, so you kind of open the box as soon as you get home.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This ain't quite right.

Ordered an AA s200. First think I noticed was this one has a gauged air cylinder. Gun marked as 16j on one side, and T200 0on the other.

Also has an accessory rail.

OK...(I can live with that mix up. Not real fond of removing the tube ever time I want to fill, but its not a big deal to me.

This still ain't right.

Rapidly noticed that the box was empty except for the rifle. No fill adapter, no plastic piece on the end of the barrel, no MANUAL (or any other paper work).

Understand, the shipping box was unopened...but the rifle box inside the shipping box had been opened. Whatever wasn't there, wasn't there when they shipped it.

The strangle screw (transfer port adjustment) seemed to be missing (see above pix). I was wrong about that, it is just a real short screw rather than the long screw I was expecting (there is an allen screw down there...its just short).

Call to the company selling...on hold...on hold past the technician's quitting time. They did contact me by email. Do NOT have the fill adapter, but promised me to get one to me along with the manual.

Crap...new gun and no way to fill it.

Do have an old (2002) s200 in .22. This one has a fill nipple and I have the means to fill that one. The air cylinders will interchange.

Because of the remove-to-fill air tube, went back to work on a functional, but skinny, LDC. Still a work in progress, can see the bright ring where an edge needed to be beveled, but the cylinder will go on and off the gun without disturbing the skinny LDC.

Swapped air cylinders with the old s200 and started testing. Which means I have NO IDEA if the new gun's air cylinder holds air or not as I have no way of filling it.

VISUAL COMPRISON:
Better wood. Even though I like he old two-piece stock, the rounded nature of the new stock does feel much better off hand.

Fit and finish is about the same. Air cylinder is a dull rough finish, receiver well finished, and the barrel well blued. Considering how well the 10 year old s200 held up, the new T200 should do as well.

Trigger adjusting allens on the new gun are ALL THE SAME SIZE (they were not on the old version). Can think of several gun makers that haven't figured out how much nicer that makes things.

TEST: FACTORY SETTINGS:
Advertised as going 800fps/12 foot pounds. It was just a little short of that; close enough (at least fore now).
7.3gr JSB = 825fps= 11fpe+
8.4ge JSB = 778fps = 11.3fpe+
10.6gr CPH = 695ps = 11.3fpe+

Going to wait until the correct air tube can be filled and the last little bit of adjusting has been done to give shot counts...but its looking like whole bunch at this energy level. Not real sure how different air tubes change performance, but as they do function as more than just air-carriers, suspect tuning with the S2oo tube would be a waste of time...best to do the tuning with the correct tube in place.

Trigger was unadjusted, but does have the adjusting screws. Will shoot the gun a few 100 times before making any adjustments, just to let the sharp edges mate up a bit (other wise you end up adjusting-readjusting-re-re-adjusting).

Probably better to NOT shoot the WRONG GUN. Could have boxed this one up and sent it back for another try at the new-gun-lottery.

But had to consider these things:

Arrived undamaged (baboon-worker-roulette).
Decent looking stock.
Right power level out the box.
Skinny LDC negates one of the main objections to the remove-to-fill tank.
Early tests at 20yards indicate that it may be both accurate and not real pellet picky.

5 shot groups @ 20 yards. Trigger still unadjusted (acceptable, but no where near what it will be once adjusted):

(Didn't much care where the groups formed...just if they would cluster into groups.)

Respond to this message   
Responses

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.