Return to Index  

Rainstorm stock modification pics

July 6 2012 at 11:09 PM
  (Login tiigerclaw03)
YF

I did a little modding on my rainstorm stock.I'm 5'2 on my best day.So I found the rifle stock to be a little long.First I determined that I needed 1 3/4 off the back of the stock.After cutting the end of the stock off I used wood putty to fill in the gaps.And sanded using the flat piece of wood that I cut off to perfectly blend in the seams.

[linked image]

[linked image]

I then proceeded to carve a custom hand grip using a pocket knife and sand paper.This took around an hour and a half.I know there are faster ways but I'm limited on tools and I like to get a feel for what I'm doing and sometimes tools make it easy to over do it.

[linked image]

[linked image]

The fit wasn't bad but it wasn't really perfect.And then it hit me."WOOD PUTTY"So I carved a little deeper then I needed so I could slap on some wood putty, after letting it dry a little to a clay type mixture I put my hand in a wall-mart bag and gripped the handle.Finally a truly custom grip made just for me.After sanding and touching up I impregnated the whole stock in low viscosity fiberglass resin to bond everything together and strengthen the wood from dings. I had the stock in the oven on 150 for 30 min to heat up the wood and putty to make sure the resin penetrated deeply , and then more sanding.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Then I used truck bed liner to coat the whole stock.I found the texture to be little too sandy for my liking so I took 1000 grit paper and smoothed everything out except where my hand made contact with the grip.Then I took more texture off of the cheek comb till it was baby smooth.So the stock has 3 textures to it.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The grip fits perfect and it shoulders much nicer now. And I don't have to stretch uncomfortably.

[linked image]

Oh and before anyone says anything I know my kitchen floor is dirty.I didn't notice the trash that was behind the trash can until I moved it took the picture and put it in this post.

Thank you for your time and God Bless

Respond to this message   
Responses

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.