Return to Index  

"So, in theory, the cheapest plain ol' lubricating oil will do the job just fine"

April 18 2017 at 8:20 AM

nced  (Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Response to In addition to being expensive

Yes, "in theory", however dieseling lubes and pellet corrosion can be an issue. When I started lubing hard lead CPLs a couple decades ago for my .177 R9 to reduce the CPL lead fouling I used FP10 which worked just fine, however CPLs lubed with the stuff and then stored in a leather pellet pouch for a while developed a kinda gummy coating that actually fouled the bore quicker than shooting CPLs dry. The next lube I tried was Slick50 OneLube from the aerosol can and I've been using this stuff ever since without the "goopy surface feel" of the FP10.

"lead itself has decent lubricating properties, which is probably why lubing pellets is not a necessity."
I do agree if the pellets are "pure lead", however the alloy of some pellets (Crosman come to mind) do tend to create "fouling issues" that is improved with some lube on the rifling surfaces of the pellet. I have read of some shooters that claim to successfully shoot unlubed pellets without ever cleaning their bores. I'm not one of those so my HW bores get some pulled patches about every box of CPLs. Here's an example.........
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.