CPL

April 18 2017 at 9:57 AM
Mark  (Login TwiceHorn)
YF12

Response to "So, in theory, the cheapest plain ol' lubricating oil will do the job just fine"

Good point on the various alloys and their lubricating/leading properties. Most seem to attribute Crosman's leading/fouling/crudding problem to the residue that always seems present on their pellets, but that doesn't mean they're right. I shoot them in my 397 because they're relatively cheap and shoot well, but more "premium" pellets in my HW97.

I had a tin of HNFTT get cruddy from blown stuff (leaves, grass, grit) at the FT range (also some got tumped into my caddy, I guess I need a pellet pouch). So I washed and lubed them with plain ol mineral oil USP. I didn't consider dieseling, but haven't had any or any drop off in accuracy. I put four drops of it on the JSB sponge and rattled them around gently in the tin.

And, yeah Crosman's alloy seems pretty hard, which may account for generating all that dust/residue during manufacturing. My HNs seem significantly harder than the JSBs, perhaps that is a function of skirt thickness?

This message has been edited by TwiceHorn on Apr 18, 2017 10:00 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.