Return to Index  

There are some "Krytox scare stories" on the airgun forums that..............

April 18 2017 at 2:18 PM

nced  (Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Response to Here's the scoop on solvent resistance

really have little to do with the use in piston guns IMHO. Here are a few FAQs..........
http://www.tri-statetech.com/krytox-frequently-asked-questions.html
https://www.chemours.com/Lubricants/en_US/sales_support/FAQs.html

A couple examples.........
1. Every trace of "dinosaur grease" needs to be removed because it doesn't mix with Krytox.
"The performance of the grease mixture will be limited by the properties of the non-PFPE grease in the mixture. Krytox™ grease will not react with the other grease or cause decomposition or any hazardous reactions"
and
"Before adding Krytox™ grease to a bearing, the bearing should be cleaned of all existing greases, oils, or preservative oils used during storage. If hydrocarbon oils are left in a bearing, the oils can form carbon deposits at high temperatures, which may accelerate bearing failure.
and
"The Krytox™ grease will not stop the other lubricant from breaking down from heat and oxidation. It is likely that the additives in the hydrocarbon grease have coated the bearing surfaces and the Krytox™ grease will not be able to adhere to the bearing, so most of it might get thrown out of the bearing."

IMHO, the mixing of Krytox and "dinosaur grease" can have a negative effect on industrial bearings however I've found that simply stripping the "petro lubes" from parts with Brake or carb cleaner has been sufficient for relubing with Krytox in my springers.

Another criticism of Krytox is that it can decompose into potentially hazardous compounds if over heated to 572F..........
http://www.idealvac.com/files/MSDS/Krytox_LVP_Grease_MSDS.pdf
"SECTION 2.
HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Emergency Overview
The product as such is not hazardous. The thermal decomposition vapours of fluorinated polymers may cause polymer fume fever with flu-like symptoms in humans, especially when smoking contaminated tobacco.
Potential Health Effects
Eyes: May cause eye irritation.
Carcinogenicity: None of the components present in this material at concentrations equal to or greater than 0.1% are listed by IARC, NTP, or OSHA, as a carcinogen."

My comments to this.........
*If I smoked I certainly wouldn't smear it on a cigarette before lighting!
*Since I don't smoke I still don't make it a habit to sniff my muzzle after each shot so I don't get "flu-like symptoms in humans"!
*"May cause eye irritation", yep, does cause the eyes to itch for a while if there is some Krytox residue on the fingers when rubbing the eyes! Not a biggie but annoying in the least so I take care to "Wash off with soap and plenty of water" as instructed after use.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.