Return to Index  

Strangest thing when trying to cock my HW95 after replacing the barrel!

May 16 2017 at 10:26 PM

nced  (Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Response to Received my package from the SSSO "HW parts liquidation".

I reassembled the HW95 and when I tried to cock the gun to do some testing with the new barrel the latch rod wouldn't set the sear. I removed the stock for a look-see and when trying to cock the gun it seemed like the latch rod was a tab too short. The internal components are the exact same ones that functioned properly before the swap so I was really puzzled!

Well, the issue was that the R9 cocking lever I used was a tad bit shorter than the other spare cocking lever I had. I'm pretty sure that all my spare parts are from old R9s so I don't have a clue why the two cocking levers look like this.......
"Rivet end" is aligned with the rivet.........
[linked image]
Here are the "other ends" of the latch rods.......
[linked image]

Anywhoo.....replaced the shorter latch rod with the longer one and the gun cocks normally!
Oh well....all is well that ends well so I may be able to do some testing after all! wink.gif

Another update.......
Did a quick 18 yard "from bucket and sticks" 5 shot group.....
I reassembled my HW95 with the new barrel from SSSO and shot this group "from bucket and sticks" at 18 yards without even zeroing my 4-12x50 Hawke Vantage which was zero'd for the previous barrel...........
[linked image]
The poi is 2 1/2" from the aim point of the optically centered Hawke at 18 yards so a bit of "barrel tweaking" will be done to get the poi within 1/2" at 18 yards, then the "fine adjustments" will be done with turrets.

I was concerned about the "tight spots" in the bore however the accuracy is pretty good without doing anything but cleaning the bore. At about 1/4"ctc so more 'testing" will need to be done to see if the "tight spots" are a "velocity issue".

One thing immediately noticeable after mounting the new barrel is that the barrel latch-up is extremely solid. With the old barrel only a moderate smack on the muzzle break was needed to unlatch the detent, however the barrel from SSSO requires a real solid thump on the muzzle break to unlatch the detent.

Anywhoo......looks like I'll be having some interesting "setup days" with the new barrel and I might even do a bit of bore smoothing with "JB Non-Embedding Bore Paste" but I'm not certain about that yet!

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on May 16, 2017 10:28 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.