Return to Index  

Re: tuning with the chronograph

July 15 2017 at 2:48 PM
gubb33ps  (Login gubb33ps)
YF

Response to tuning with the chronograph

I'd look at it in 2 parts.

Get the striker hit to the valve balaned so that the velocity at max pressure turns out to be about 4% under whatever the fasest shot turns out to be.

Lets look at that this way. If you started off shooting at 820fps...where would you call a halt? Perhaps by 788-787fps (which is 4% under max.)...so you'd count only the shots from 820-788 as "good shots".

But if it were to start at 770fps, climb to an eventual max of 801fps, and then decline back down to 770, could count the shots going "up", the shots at the leavel area, and the shots coming down and stay inside the same 4% range.

Now if that is not fast/powerul enough for you, would work at the air passages...valve work, transfer port size, transfer passage sixe/smoothness....which would bring the energy level up and still keep you near the optimum shot count (some shots increasing, some level, some decreasing in speed, but all within 4%).

If you demande 3% or evwen 2%, can manage to get there,,,take a lot more fiddling around and adjusting, but it can be cone over a short pressure range.,

Bad news is this: it's a dispropotional increase. Might get 80 shots at 5 foot pounds (400foot pounds total for a fill) but more like 33 shots at 10 foot pounds...or 18 shots at 15 foot pounds...or even 10 shots at 18 foot pounds.

So set a gaol...X amount of energy vs Y amont of shots, and work towards that. Open-ended goals (like "all I can get") are a work-trap (can work for decades improveion one thing or the other for some super-minor amount of difference).

Respond to this message   

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.