Just Thinking Out Loud--May Start Doing Some Springer Tuning Again

August 11 2017 at 11:55 PM
Ed Krzynowek  (Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Some of you may remember me around here. I tuned a lot of spring piston air rifles over the period of many, many years. I've been out of that game for something like 3-4 years now, but I haven't forgotten what I learned.

I stopped doing the work for awhile there due to health issues that have been totally resolved for more than a year. I feel much better than I did before, thankfully! In fact, I can honestly say that for the past year I've felt better than I did during the previous 25 years. That's what I call a major turnaround in the best way.

I want to make clear that the work was never much of an income booster or what you could call a real money-making business, although I took the work itself very-seriously. It was only a hobby-business that gave me something to do to keep my hands busy and find some pride in who I am. Several people liked the work I did for them. You can probably find some posts on this forum to that effect.

During the time I was previously tuning, it wasn't how I supported myself. I was using it as some scant-little supplemental income to add to my 'real' income that came from taking early retirement. I couldn't have possibly lived off of what I was taking in, and I don't need or plan to do so now. I couldn't do so now and keep the quality high.

Admittedly, there was a period of time when I was tuning that my lead time became very-long due to simply taking too many jobs on at a time, trying to 'serve too many masters' or be a sort of champion of sorts to the airgun-quality-afflicted. I cleaned up that problem before I stopped tuning, though, and was getting the air rifles out of here in a reasonable amount of time before I quit. If I do start tuning again, just so you'll know, I'm still going to keep the workload small and the return times reasonable, as I did at the end of my previous tenure.

The thing is, the mechanical problems I see described now, and the potential for improvement in what the factories still deliver remain about the same as it was before. I know I could improve many makes and models of air guns out there for those who want that sort of thing done. However, as I learned before the hard way, an air gun tune definitely isn't the cure for a product that comes terribly-defective from the factory or has been badly chopped-up due to some well-meaning but untrained DIY work. Said another way, yes I can cure some mechanical ills but I can't actually raise the dead. What a good does is take a decent product with good potential and makes it better, period. That's the extent of my ability. "A man has to know his limitations" (Clint Eastwood, from Magnum Force I think).

If I start doing the work again, let's not raise any alarms because I won't be putting any other tuner anything close to out of business. That's because, as I stated, I just won't be taking on that large an amount of work. The other guys basically won't even know I'm here, exactly as I think was the case before. I would be a small-guy shop doing select work for a small number of people. The only (imagined) threat I might pose is if I get a compliment on my work, and someone perhaps sees that as stealing their thunder. That happened a little in the past, but it's a part of human behavior I can't be responsible for or change. It is what it is. I want to state very-clearly that no one need to worry about me, because those other tuners are already solidly-competent and helping the air gun community in a big way and I know that.

So, anyway, this is more than just a daydream now, or I wouldn't be posting it here. I'm giving it some serious thought. When might it happen? I don't know yet. What would my prices be like? Reasonable and competitive, like before. What air rifles will I work on? Quality metal-spring-piston guns, usually those with well respected brand names. Going down the road of working on 3rd world' products is something I already tried, and I don't want to go there again. May hat is off to those who do that work and they're welcome to all of it. Also, I don't do gas ram work and I don't work on PCP air arms.

I guess that's it. Stay tuned for further announcements if you're interested. Thank you for your time. And, as always...

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Ed Krzynowek, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

This message has been edited by ekmeister1 on Aug 13, 2017 8:11 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.