Funny you should mention it

September 9 2017 at 9:03 PM
Steve D  (Login sd5782)
YC

Response to Tips for BSA Airsporter end plug?

Hello Jim. I think I sold you a Haenel 300 in Findlay a couple of years ago. I have a Mercury S that I was just shooting this evening. I half destroyed the receiver and piston on mine by shooting it while it was internally grinding itself.

It was a royal pain to get apart until I finally got a bit violent with it. It was 5-10 years ago maybe. I tried with the rod in the trigger block if I remember, but no luck. I let it set for days trying to figure out a new approach. I believe in the end, I clamped the trigger block in a big vice, with wood to keep from marring. I think then I got a large box point wrench that was a good fit in the breech jaws such as one would do to unscrew an HW end block. Then some VERY sharp blows on the wrench with a big hammer.

Remember, at this point, I was going to get the damn thing off one way or another so this is a caution. It worked for me, and came off. Nothing broke and my trigger block has no marks.

Now that is only half the fun. You will never get it back together with a stout spring. I tried to make a jig to hold the trigger block while screwing it in, but that worked poorly. I did get a factory spring cut a couple coils in. Final tune used a JM .120" 4600 spring for milder shooting. It is a short stroke gun anyhow, and is plenty harsh with much spring.

All in all an unpleasant experience. The guns are indeed beautiful but….. I will say, that I am not a fan of British guns. Hope to not step on toes, but I have in my limited experience found poor workmanship and difficulty of servicing. GOOD LUCK!!

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.