Scope and rifle levelingSeptember 12 2017 at 10:42 AM
|Josh3rd (Login josh3rd)|
Ok members, I know that a scopes vertical crrosshair is supposed to bisect the center of the barrel to eliminate cant. You can use a plumb line to make sure your scope is straight up and down.
What I want to know is how can you make sure that your rifle is straight? I know that if you have a breach block or a weaver rail, you can set a level on it but what if you don't have anything flat on your rifle to lay a level on?
For instance I have a prosport with a blk bubble level that attaches to the scope tube. When I look through it at a plumb line, the scope and bubble level shows true but the rifle stock feels crooked. Ok so when I pull my face back to the rear, behind the butt pad and see a very small circle opening through the scope, i center the crosshairs and make sure the bubble level is in the middle, I can see the bottom of the crosshairs post kinda at the 5 o'clock position.
My whole point is that when looking at a target with the rifle is in the shooting sticks or shouldered, and the bubble level is level, the crosshairs look just a little crooked. Even if I am looking at a plumb line and the crosshairs are straight with the line, it looks like the bottom is at 5 o'clock and the top at 11 o'clock.
Now unless it's windy, my shots are right on the vertical for the most part from 10-55yds.
Is there a way to check a prosport to see if it's level (right/left)? I tried to place a torpedo level underneath because that is the only flat place.
- Re: Scope and rifle leveling - peterdulux on Sep 12, 2017, 11:06 AM
- "What I want to know is how can you make sure that your rifle is straight?"....well....... - nced on Sep 12, 2017, 1:23 PM
- Re: Scope and rifle leveling - TV on Sep 12, 2017, 1:40 PM
- Some points to consider in my experience - Will Piatt on Sep 12, 2017, 7:08 PM
- What I use - David Geesaman on Sep 12, 2017, 9:55 PM
- Machinist level is your friend.... - Gary in FL on Sep 13, 2017, 4:40 AM
- Accuracy - David Geesaman on Sep 13, 2017, 5:49 PM
- I started using the Wheeler Pro this year. - Allen on Sep 13, 2017, 8:40 PM
- try this - FPoole on Sep 13, 2017, 9:50 PM
- Re: Scope and rifle leveling - GKU on Sep 14, 2017, 3:25 AM
- BKL level not the most accurate - Roland on Sep 14, 2017, 11:17 AM
- Butt pad screws? - BSJ on Sep 14, 2017, 11:23 AM