Re Fastener types/sizes...It's going to take at least three sizes on most guns

October 8 2017 at 6:55 PM
Scot Laughlin  (Login classicalgas)
YF

Response to Time for another old guy rant...

You don't want the sight screws and the barrel pivot to use the same size shank in the screw, do you? I haven't seen many guns with more than four, so they aren't doing too bad in that department.

The problem is when one gun has slotted, square drive(butt ugly) AND Phillips...and the scope rings have torx, and the mount uses allen.

My first choice would be to see torx everywhere...it would keep the ham handed garage mechanics from using cheap slotted drivers and buggering up the screws, if nothing else...though that type would probably try to jam an allen driver in there, come to think of it...so maybe allen everywhere?

I think the plethora of types in one gun is due to the purchasing dept not wanting to spec custom ordered screws, they tend to pick off the shelf standard wherever possible, and most self tapping screws (the common type in cast pot metal assemblies) seem to be square drive these days, and fillister head machine screws(the common type for springer forend screws)are readily available only in phillips or slotted.

But think about it...if the factory got it exactly right the first time, what would we have to do?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.