My FWB124D walnut stock project is done☺ long with pics

December 1 2017 at 7:59 PM

Randy Stratman  (Login randy_68)
YC

I finally had some time to get started on my FWB stock project . I made a few mistakes along the way but for my First stock I think it turned out pretty good. It’s definatley not perfect but it’s better than a broken one.
This stock started life as a factory second for a Weatherby rifle from Calico Hardwoods in CA. It cost me $37.00 shipped . The only reason I see it was a second was the knot hole in the toe of the stock. Otherwise it is a great piece of wood.

[linked image]


[linked image]

[linked image]


[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]



First up as getting a jig made and mounting the stock in it to cut the receiver channel. After getting it mounted up I needed to come up with a bit for the router. My uncle suggested making one out of a 1" wood bit and I knew I had one or two laying around so I dug one out and went to grinding on it. Problem was that the shank was 5/16" in dia and I needed 1/4" to fit the router. So I chucked it up in my lathe and turned it down. Worked out perfectly and did the job for me.

[linked image]


[linked image]

[linked image]


The barrel channel is larger than 1" and I sanded it to size with a dowel rod wrapped with sandpaper. The receiver fitting was a chore and that is where I made some mistakes. I thought long and hard about how to get the front screw holes drilled at the correct angle. I came up with the idea of making a receiver tube jig out of a heavy piece of pic pipe which was the right dia. I taped it in the old stock and drilled it from the screw side out the other side so I would have my hole pattern. I then taped it in my new stock and drilled from the top side out. Worked perfectly!

[linked image]

I’m limited on wood working tools, in fact I borrowed the router and some forstner bits from my uncle. Cutting the slot for the cocking linkage was harder than it seems. Every step of the way I was thinking about how I could screw this up. And I almost did a few times but I finally got it done.
I did screw up and take too much off where the trigger guard sits so I made an escutcheon to bring it back to the right height.
[linked image]

[linked image]


I did a final test fit and shot it a few times to make sure it all worked then took it apart and started the final sanding. I finished it with Minwax Antique Oil finish. Now I have a nice FWB 124 with a walnut stock that I am proud to own.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]


[linked image]

Thanks all for looking.
This was a fun and rewarding project and I'm already looking forward to my next one.


 
 Respond to this message   
Responses


Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********





D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.