Choice isn't as easy as we would like it.

December 2 2017 at 12:18 PM
John M  (Login FTJohn)
AR&P

Response to What Chrony & printer to get? I know nothing.... Questions please...

Unless you are a nut case for accuracy, just about any chronograph will do.
Rule #1. The further apart the sensors are, the more accurate the reading.
Rule #2. The larger the unit, the less likely you will be to use it.
Rule #3. Accuracy costs MONEY. How much do you want to spend? How much accuracy is necessary?

The price can be pretty acceptable on mid-range chrony's and for 99% of us, a 5 ft/sec variance doesn't really have much, if any, significance.

Shooting Chrony makes a unit that you can attach to a printer that is pretty reasonable and you can buy it with all accessories. But, you end up with a separate printer which adds to bulk and set-up time. Their "F-1" is their entry level unit which sets up in no time and is very handy. I had one that I let an acquaintance take home with him and I haven't seen him since. I paid $79 for it some years ago and it worked flawlessly even tho' it has been shot a half dozen times. It's a good value.

The Oehler 65P would probably be the top of the line chrony for you. They have been around a long time, have an outstanding record, and retail for about $650. OUCH!! The printer is built in. They use three sky screens so you get two readings for each shot. One is the actual reading and the other is a "proof" reading. If there's much difference between the two it will give you a warning and you can include the reading or just cancel it. At the push of a button, you get all the statistics you'll need. This falls just short of a lab quality unit. And, by the way, Oehler does make a lab quality unit for just a few thousand dollars!! The 65P ("P" is for printer that uses adding machine tape) takes a while to set up and the screen settings can go from 2 feet apart up to 8 feet apart.

There are a ton of others between these two and any of them would work well for you. If I were you tho', I would buy one that costs less than $200. Just make sure it's a quick set-up so you don't spend half your time at the range getting ready to shoot.

AND, by the way, the first Chrony I ever saw was hit by a .308 at 10 yds right in the LCD read-out. First shot, right out of the box, BRAND NEW. Back then, it cost about $200 and was really a deal. Poor guy.
HTH John

Respond to this message   
Responses

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.