Here's a Link to the Sig Sauer Rifle Ad with a Picture--I Read the Ad

February 7 2018 at 9:03 PM
Ed Krzynowek  (Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Response to A very good blog by Tom Gaylord "Where Are Airguns Today"

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/sig-sauer-introduces-new-asp20-break-barrel-air-rifle/#axzz56MSmhJ31

I also read Tom's blog regarding this new release. My impressions:

The rifle has what's more than your plain-Jane muzzle brake, as do many other models on the US market these days. That can make even a spring gun more neighbor friendly.

I do disagree with some of what's said in the ad about the new SS trigger, since I consider the Rekord (HW) and CD (Air Arms) triggers to also be "advanced" designs. Add a separate and definite first stage adjustment--and MAYBE just a light stoning of the sears--to the RWS/Diana T01 and T05 triggers and they're also quite good. And, of course, a lot of people also like the newer T06 trigger units. The T06 is definitely an advanced design.

Tom Gaylord says he sees no sign of the trigger's being adjustable, but FWIW the ad says the trigger can be set at any one of eight settings ranging from 2.5 lbs. to 4 lbs. Is the setting mechanism perhaps hidden from view, or was he maybe shown a prototype? Either of those things would explain his seeing no sign of an adjustment capability.

The ad also says other spring piston air rifles don't have as much power as theirs, but the RWS/Diana Side-lever rifles like the 48, 52, and 54 have very-similar velocity/power specs to the ASP20--as do also some of the Nitro Piston break barrel rifles.

The Sig Sauer ad says other rifles can't generate as much power without having a much higher cocking effort than theirs, but the RWS side-lever rifles are in at about 39 lbs. according to the specs I could find, not "48-52 lbs." cocking effort as claimed in the ad. (I couldn't seem to find any information on the cocking effort of the Nitro Piston rifles. Maybe you guys know what it is on various models).

Notice the SS ad also says that you better put a fairly super-duty scope on the rifle or it will likely break, hinting at a fairly sharp shot cycle. I'd expect that from a gas-ram rifle with this much power.

Tom also mentions the unique, new barrel locking mechanism of the ASP20, but I didn't see the need for a change there in order to get good accuracy. The accuracy of the better break barrel models that have been on the market for at least a couple of decades is so good that I consider it to be a non-issue. I'm talking HW and RWS/Diana to name two major players in that regard.

OK, I'm going to stop. IMO, real test results by actual owners regarding the capabilities of this new rifle will need to be reviewed to see what the rifle can and can't do well. But, I DO need to say that I came away with a familiar feeling after considering what I read in the ad about this one. I'm talking about having feelings of deja vu of so many of the air gun ads in the past that over-hyped their claims to attract sales. The most-common item over the years has probably been about velocity, "1000 fps" being one of them from the near past, while more lately it seems it's "1200-1300 fps"--but that spec based on using those light alloy pellets that don't perform too-well in the field.

Wow, maybe it appears I'm really being fairly negative here, doesn't it? Sorry guys. Like I said, once I got the impression that the ad was attempting to hype me a bit, I sort of pulled in the welcome mat on this one. So, to be fair, maybe some guys will buy these rifles, shoot them, and the reviews will be just stellar! Until then, it's another 'wait and see' for me here in Texas. I'm not buying right now, so I'll be watching for your upcoming posts about this rifle.

Thanks.

This message has been edited by ekmeister1 on Feb 7, 2018 11:27 PM

Respond to this message   

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.