<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

177 raccoon hunting??????????????

June 11 2002 at 12:08 AM
  (Login zack22222)

i saw a page that showed some people who harvested raccoons with a 177 cal that does 850 fps and 14 fpe is this realy possible or was this just a typo on the page but if so what about opossums and how much fpe does a gamo 220 do?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login jr99)

Regardless of cal or fpe12lbs or greater

June 11 2002, 12:34 AM 

A coons skull, must take first consideration. It has a lot of sharp angles and even 22mags have been known to glance off them. back of the head or just behind the eye, at a 90drgree angle to skull, helps a lot

Aloha John

Never be afraid to question.

Respond to this message   

(Login zack22222)

well with a 220

June 11 2002, 12:37 AM 

at ten feet or less(i have had to wrestle a raccoon when it attacked my dog im not to afraid of them) i could probably do like 5 feet would a gamo 220 with a shot to the head harvest a raccoon?

Respond to this message   
Ryp
(Login ryp)

You shure can!

June 11 2002, 2:39 PM 

Zack, I've taken several coon with my .177 gamo 220. The thing that is very important is shot placement. I've found that a shot between the lookers is best when straight on and a shot in the temple when he's from the side. Most coon I've shot lately seem to know what's up and try to show you their hindquarters rather than look at you. Some I've taken with one shot and others have taken more that a couple when the first one wasnt well placed. Most taken have been 10-20yds.

Ryp

Respond to this message   
9mm9mm
(Login 9mm9mm)

fear that racoon infection eh?

June 11 2002, 12:45 AM 

if you "wrestle" them alot CITY racoons are dirty little beasts that can take your finger off, but nice you saved the dog.
I feel certain a Career .177 on high would go all the way through on lenght wise.
At five feet use a baseball bat! (been there in Fla. neibour feed them 150lbs of dog food a week when he went on holiday it was crazy with big fat NOT scared coons).
John

Respond to this message   

(Login zack22222)

its a gamo not a carreer

June 11 2002, 12:51 AM 

but its not quite city i live in a some what hick town(former egg capital of the world) and yeah they are huge would have shredded my dog but i lifted it up shook it and through it as far as i could got clawed up pretty good and the raccoon ran away have not seen it since have seen others though but from a gamo 220 177 at a good 5 or so feet would it harvest it?

Respond to this message   

(Login RobertWStruck)
YFOT

FIVE Feet......You're a better man than I am Gungadin........

June 11 2002, 6:32 AM 

I've taken a Raccoon with my R-9 .177 caliber. Put a pile of food out and set yourself down 10 yards away. You'll want to get a shot at the BACK of the head. If you know the direction he's coming from, position the food accordingly so he is facing away from you. As he's eating, pop him just above where the neck meats the head. It will penetrate, and hopefully kill it. You may need two shots, though when I killed the coon with my 9 it wasn't necessary. If you hit him in the front or side of the head, there's a good chance the pellet will actually bounce off. Good luck, and oh BTW make sure you can easily start running from the position you are in. Rob

Respond to this message   
ROBERT
(Login .lhd)

Not Gungadin, but I meant

June 11 2002, 2:27 PM 

Gungan. Meesa be thinin' I'd rather be in Naboo!! I HAVE to see Attack of the Clones again!!!
THEREALROBERT

Respond to this message   
ROBERT
(Login .lhd)

Not Gungadin, but I meant

June 11 2002, 2:28 PM 

Gungan. Meesa be thinin' I'd rather be in Naboo!! I HAVE to see Attack of the Clones again!!!
THEREALROBERT

Respond to this message   
Tim C
(Login tim6980)

Racoons learn where they're not welcome

June 11 2002, 2:03 AM 

Each Spring we experience visits from new Racoon families raiding our Koi pond. These are pretty smart critters. I hate to kill them... they just need some serious re-training. Last year I had this family visiting the pond every morning between 5-6 AM. I could tell because the dogs went nuts...I'd go check it out and I'd find little wet paw prints everywhere. I decided to ambush them. This was before I got my first airgun. I was equipped with a Wamo Wrist Rocket (sling shot) and 1" ball bearings. That morning I caught them...took aim on the biggest one from about 15 feet and nailed him (or her) in the ass...hard!!! They all took off for the back yard. The one I nailed, along with a couple of others, climbs a cedar tree, and there he sits...looking down at me from about 20 feet up. I took aim and got him again. This big guy falls out of the tree and almost lands on me. He laid motionless on the ground before me for a full minute...his family looking down on the carnage. I poked at him a couple of time with my foot, thinking...Damn, I didn't mean to kill him, when all at once he regains conciousnes and starts running circles around me. I start running...he's running...we're both running side by side in circles. I don't know who was scared the most. Anyway, the word got out...I never saw a racoon for the rest of the year. This little scenario repeats itself almost every Spring...except for the falling out of the tree part. They learn very quickly where they're not welcome.

Respond to this message   

(Login airforcewon)

That is funny, you and the coon running side by side in circles

June 11 2002, 11:06 AM 

I can picture it...seems pretty funny.

Respond to this message   

Steve in NC
(Login pneuguy)

Well I can attest that a .22 B18 -- the Chinese copy of a 220 --

June 11 2002, 8:36 AM 

...did a complete and thorough job on a 20 pounder that was making a pest of itself on my back deck one night. The shot was frontal to the head (the raccoon was staring at me) from about 25' from my back door. Death -- except for a bit of after the fact twitching -- seemed instantaneous.

So, at that range, a CP carrying 13 or so fpe was enough.

But I really didn't like doing it -- I was just pissed off, the raccoon wouldn't go away, and the B18 was standing by the back door.

In any other situation (e.g., no quick retreat available), I'd definitely recommend more gun.

FWIW,
Steve

Respond to this message   

(Login endoh)
YC

barely...

June 11 2002, 10:44 AM 

i've seen raccoons shot with .22s inflict hundreds of dollars worth of damage to good hunting dogs. they are tough and angry little critters when hurt. i wouldn't want to confront one with a single shot .177 airgun in the dark. however, i have used .177s to dispatch obviously rabid 'coons in broad daylight from a safe distance.

oppossums are not pests. they don't carry rabies due to their bodies being too cold to support the virus and they serve a necessary role in cleaning up carrion.

Respond to this message   
zack larkins
(Login zack22222)

re; barely

June 11 2002, 2:21 PM 

yeah its not the illneses of opossums that makes me want to shoot them its just they try to break into the chicken coop and if they get in the chickens will look like they have been through a meat grinder opossums are mean things also they eat the cat food and im worried when a cats around it might just kill the cat and they also nest under our house making it a frightning thing when we have to go down there

Respond to this message   

(Login endoh)
YC

understood...

June 11 2002, 8:43 PM 

lots of people shoot oppossums "just because". if you're protecting livestock from raiders that's another thing. they are fond of the cat food. i stopped leaving it out because it was attracting them.

Respond to this message   

(Login 26753)

good hunting dog ?

June 12 2002, 12:44 AM 

ware i come from any coon dog that gets hundreds of dollars worth of damage from a coon is NOT a good dog and will go the same way the coon does....

Respond to this message   

(Login Billxxxv)

Perhaps in a couple of decades

June 11 2002, 11:16 AM 

There will be no small animals to worry about. In my area development is over running these small animals habitat at an alarming rate. The Self Storage Facility's are cropping up every where, So are housing developments. Animals only do things out of instinct or necessity, it's not accidental, there is a reason they would be in close proximaty to your property. I'm no tree hugger, but am deeply concerned about the impact that "we" are beginning to have on "our" enviroment. It's not uncommon to see 10 road kills per day here. Take it from me, be glad you can see them, because someday you may not.

Billxxxv

My ego would kill a normal man!

Respond to this message   
RonM
(Login Ron_M)
YF

Adaption

June 11 2002, 3:46 PM 

The thing we see here in NJ is how many animals adapt to urban and suburban sprawl. At first their numbers decrease, but in time they come back with a vengance. It's beleived that there are more deer in NJ now than there were in colonial times. (Yeah I know a deer is not a small animal). As a kid growing up in the 'burbs, it always amazed me how many squirrels, racoons, possums, etc. that I'd see on a regular basis. But when we'd rent a cabin in the woods of PA, we'd see so little wildlife. None the less, we should all do our part to protect wildlife. And we all know that sportmen have probably done more to protect them than tree huggers ever will.

RonM

Respond to this message   

(Login TedA)

Go for the behind the shoulder shot.

June 12 2002, 1:37 AM 

The Pelet will enter the ribs, flatten and do its job, probably causing as much damage or more than a real firearm or at least more than a .22. Kill zones on field targets are rarely head shots.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 177 raccoon hunting??????????????
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.