<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone ever heard of Hal Hartley, custom gunsmith?

April 16 2004 at 8:54 PM
bigdaver  (Login bigdaver)
YC

Died about 10yrs ago, lived in Lenoir NC. I have him listed in several of my Gunsmithing books that have a resource listing (older ones obviously).
A friend of mine got a Ruger #1 .25-06 from his father in law, and it is gorgeous. Fleur de lis fine line checkering, at least high twenties, and done in a wood, I guess is nice walnut, with a figure I have never seen. It has a definite rainbow effect, purple, red, yellow, but in a brown wood with contrasting black grain. As lively and thick with figure as really wild maple.
First really nice gun I've ever seen I guess, but I mean really nice.
It had a long scratch and dent, dropped in the Rocky Mountains on a hunt.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MA
(Login customwerks)
YC

Ole HAL

April 16 2004, 11:19 PM 

Grew up and lived 5 minutes from him most of my life.Matter of fact,his brother still lives beside my dad to this very day.Our property joins his.
Hal was a very good man.(not to mention talented)Couldn't rush him though.When folks would walk in,he'd put down what he was working on and wouldn't pick it back up until you left.(even if it was your stuff)Working and socializing didn't mix much with him.A legend round these here parts.

Respond to this message   

(Login bigdaver)
YC

Do you live around here? Here's my best Hal story.....

April 17 2004, 7:12 AM 

The original owner of this gun was doing electrical work at Hals shop. There is a wood stove. Hal is working on a stock. The customer comes in and complains "What's taking so long with that stock". Hal tosses it in the wood stove " Just finished it".

Respond to this message   
MA
(Login customwerks)
YC

Re: Do you live around here? Here's my best Hal story.....

April 17 2004, 8:47 AM 

Grew up in Lenoir,growing out in Granite.Moved to Granite Falls/Hickory area a couple years ago to be closer to the dealership.The less you drive on Hwy 321,the better off you'll be.Still drive to Lenoir nearly everyday to the shop to work on stocks.I live about 20 minutes from "home".
That is definately a "Hal" story.I've heard several about the same way.He refused to be rushed,bothered,hurried,prodded,encouraged,or whatever you wanna call it.I love those folks that claim they're in NO hurry,then call every other day wanting a progress report.
Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login customwerks)
YC

Where you live Big D?

April 17 2004, 1:28 PM 

-

Respond to this message   

(Login bigdaver)
YC

Bigdaver, Dave Rhuberg, live in Gamewell....

April 17 2004, 4:29 PM 

Work in Lenoir, at Western Carolina Electrical Supply. I sell wire, controllers, etc to the furniture industry.
Where are you guys from, and where is Customwerks, is it a furniture shop backroom?

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login customwerks)
YC

Re: Bigdaver, Dave Rhuberg, live in Gamewell....

April 17 2004, 9:42 PM 

Us is I,and Customwerks is in my trunk.Actually,Customwerks Airgunning is a 500,000 sq ft, state of the art facility in the heart of Caldwell co.I'm shocked you have not heard of it.
Got an uncle that lives in beautiful downtown Gamewell.I built 2 houses in LeMar Park in Lower creek,and built a couple years ago @ River Bend in Granite Falls.
Small world isn't it?!

Respond to this message   

(Login Frank-H)
YF

Mike, can you post some pics of that "trunk" you got, LOL...? What you got is workin.. n/t

April 20 2004, 1:07 AM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Anyone ever heard of Hal Hartley, custom gunsmith?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.