<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lead vs Steel BBs

June 16 2004 at 9:11 PM
Joanne  (Login joannetrueman)

Hey guys, got another question!
I've been playing around with lead and steel BBs for my co2 pistol.
I've heard someone say that lead BBs give more power because the rifling cuts into the lead BBs better and provents gas blow pass. However, from my experience, steel still pack more punch then lead. I did find the lead BBs to be more accurate...for the first few shots of a mag at least.
What are your views on both?
Also, when I use lead BBs, the feeder in the magazine always squash the last few BBs out of shape, any fix to this? should I just load fewer BBs?

thanks guys.
jo

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login bellis123)
YC

The BB's will ruin the rifling in the barrel. nt

June 16 2004, 9:18 PM 

nn

Respond to this message   
Joanne
(Login joannetrueman)

The pistol is designed to fire BBs.

June 16 2004, 9:29 PM 

And yes, the barrel is rifled.

Respond to this message   

(Login bellis123)
YC

I understand that...

June 16 2004, 9:59 PM 

The BB's will still ruin the rifling in the barrel. Those little Makarov pistols are kinda neat. Hope you can find some leads that won't smash so easily.

Brent

Respond to this message   
Victor3
(Login Victor3)
YFOT

Sounds like you're talking....

June 16 2004, 9:28 PM 

...about the Drozd bb machine gun (?). Mine will jam lead bb's. I don't see any way to fix it other than to maybe find harder lead bb's. The lead bb's get hammered and deformed as they feed up the magazine. Steel bb's give higher velocity but will wear out a rifled bbl.

Respond to this message   
Joanne
(Login joannetrueman)

The pistol is a Makarov. nice little plinker.

June 16 2004, 9:32 PM 

I see that you mean. The lead and steel BBs I'm using are all gamo rounds... any suggestion?

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

Actually, the lead BB's would probably pack more punch.

June 16 2004, 9:28 PM 

The slightly heavier lead BB's have a higher mass and would therefore retain energy better. In rifled barrels, lead is better. Try loading a few less lead ones into the magazine and see if they don't squash. Fully loading it may increase the spring tension inside the magazine. RB

BKL mounts..11 + 14mm
http://www.airgunshow.net/Bestunes.htm
cscbestunes@aol.com

Respond to this message   
Joanne
(Login joannetrueman)

can it be any lead BBs?

June 16 2004, 9:34 PM 

I'm using gamo rounds. judging just from pentration of phone books, the steel BBs seems to be hitting harder.

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

Beeman sells "Perfect Rounds". nt

June 17 2004, 12:13 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   

(Login joannetrueman)

Another question!

June 16 2004, 9:38 PM 

How frequent should I clean my co2 pistol?
I stripe it after every session and lude it with military grade CLP gun oil(dad's in the army). Also I clean the barrel as well.(I can get lot's of pink steel BB shaving out of it.
Am I cleaning it too much.
The pistol is all metal construction and the black steel mag gets a little pink/red rust on it after a while.

thanks

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)

A better way to phrase the question, Jo, is: should you EVER clean it?

June 16 2004, 9:45 PM 

Since airguns have no corrosion issues, the only reason to clean is to restore accuracy. In low to moderate power airguns, that won't be necessary until a LOT of pellets have been put down the chute.

Emphasis on a LOT. 1000s of rounds.

Steve

This message has been edited by pneuguy on Jun 16, 2004 9:45 PM

Respond to this message   
Joanne
(Login joannetrueman)

You don't even lube the metal on metal contacts?

June 16 2004, 9:50 PM 

the pink/red rust looking stuff on the mag, are they rust or shavings from the steel BBs?

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)

Lube is a different matter. I'd say oil it (since it's not a springer) to your...

June 16 2004, 9:55 PM 

...heart's content. But the residue you're seeing from the BBs probably isn't rust - at least not from the gun. If they were Daisy's or Copperheads, I'd suspect copper from the surface flash they're given. I've never used Gamos and don't know what surface treatment they're given. But I'd be willing to bet it's harmless.

Steve

Respond to this message   
Joanne
(Login joannetrueman)

Lube it but don't clean the barrel unless I really need to! Got it!

June 16 2004, 9:58 PM 

Thanks a lot!

Respond to this message   
Joanne
(Login joannetrueman)

Why shouldn't you lube springers?

June 16 2004, 9:59 PM 

just want to know...

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)

Because in springers, lube isn't just lube. It's also fuel. That's good...

June 16 2004, 10:01 PM 

...but you know what they say about too much of a good thing.

Steve

Respond to this message   
TimR
(Login timothy42b)
YF

Safety Factor

June 17 2004, 2:48 AM 

Steel BBs will bounce off a hard surface at something like 95% of the speed they hit at. And they come back right at you, or anybody else around.

I am generally not in favor of using steel BBs for any purpose and don't allow them in my house at all nor around my kids.

It is possible to use them safely but it requires extraordinary effort, and a level of care not possible for young people. Better to spend a little more and shoot lead. The only advantage I can see to steel is price. Lead will bounce too under some conditions but is much easier to contain, and the bounce usually isn't hard enough to cause injury.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Lead vs Steel BBs
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.