<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Moly based lube/grease?

September 30 2004 at 8:12 PM
  (Login nickf82984)

what is it? i went to wally world(about the only "gun" store around) and they looked at me like i was crazy.. can someone explain what this is, where i can get it and what the heck its good for(i.e. why this should be used and not other types of grease)

thanks

NICK

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dunefan)
YC

moly

September 30 2004, 8:19 PM 

Hi Nick, I was wondering the same thing a while back and so I called JM (I've ordered springs and seals from him) and asked. He said go to an auto parts store and buy any grease that had moly in it. I did this and the store clerk (autozone) took me to the right stuff ($3.00). I used it where it's supposed to be applied and it seems to work well. Hope this helps.

Don

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

well..

September 30 2004, 9:49 PM 

moly is expensive. You can be assured that a $3 tube or tub of grease probably has less than 3% moly in it. The moly tuners use is 60% or better by volume and has a totally different chemical base. If you think the $3 moly grease does the same job, you're mistaken. Russ

BKL mounts..11 + 14mm
http://www.airgunshow.net/Bestunes.htm
cscbestunes@aol.com

Respond to this message   
snyper
(Login SNYPER360)

where does the molly go?

September 30 2004, 8:36 PM 

i have a b3 that would love a good lube

Respond to this message   
ricdoug
(Login ricdoug)
YF

A little dab 'L do 'ya!...

September 30 2004, 10:55 PM 

Metal to metal. Works well in compression chambers. A little goes a long way! Ric

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

Sometimes you just have to kick the Wally World habit.

September 30 2004, 9:50 PM 

..and go the sources that carry the real deal. RB

BKL mounts..11 + 14mm
cscbestunes@aol.com

Respond to this message   

(Login nickf82984)

haha, trust me

September 30 2004, 11:43 PM 

i wish i could.. but its the ONLY place around my house, luckily in my job i travel around 150-200 miles a day so i go through alot of towns... i never knew how many places carried so many airgun pellets i don't want haha. i have found about 5 gun stores that carry i think it was 6mm(is that .25?) pellets, and everywhere has crow mags but no one wants them! haha.. i am gonna goto the autoparts store and get some moly based grease tommorow so that i can work on my trigger a little...

thanks for the help

nick

Respond to this message   
wchilton
(Login wchilton)
YFOT

Moly is short for

September 30 2004, 11:41 PM 

molybdenum disulfide. It is a dry lubricant that chemically bonds with metal surfaces so it isn't easily displaced and will lubricate even under extreme stress/pressure. The moly grease tuners use has very high moly content so only a dab is needed to get enough MoS2 in place. The high moly content and low percentage of grease makes it less likely to deisel when used in compression chambers. I think it's also probably doing a good job lubricating synthetic seals though it really shines for metal-to-metal contact. As Russ said above, most "moly greases" have a small percentage (3% or so) of moly added to give them better lubrication properties but they are not the same as the real deal...which tends to be expensive. Best bet is just to order some from JM because other sources will be for much larger amounts. If used judiciously you only need a pencil-eraser sized dab to lube all of the areas in an airgun where it is needed.

Respond to this message   

(Login burtcs)

Honda Moly60...

October 1 2004, 12:45 AM 

Get it at a Honda Motorcycle dealer, it's 60% moly. About $9.00-12.00 for a 3 oz tube.

HTH - Steve B.

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

even that's a rip !

October 1 2004, 1:32 AM 

I buy 8 oz brush cap jars for $20.. and it's 65% moly at minimum. BTW- be careful with that Honda moly.. that grease base the moly is added to will diesel. RB

BKL mounts..11 + 14mm
cscbestunes@aol.com

Respond to this message   

(Login unclestu)
YF12

Where to get the 8 oz jars?

October 1 2004, 12:09 PM 

So, Russ, who has the 8 oz brush cap jars? Maccari?

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

Try

October 1 2004, 7:16 PM 

Brownells and MSC Industrial Supply for starters. McMaster-Carr might have it too. All have websites and will take orders from individuals. RB

BKL mounts..11 + 14mm
cscbestunes@aol.com

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Moly based lube/grease?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.