<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

It is IMPOSSIBLE to find the scope i'm looking for. They just don't make it., unless...

November 28 2004 at 9:06 PM

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

Any of you know where to get one.

I'm trying to find a scope with the following:

8-32X44 (or 8-32X40/8-32X42)
Target turrets (or semi-turrets)
Adjustable A/O
1/4 moa click adjustments on the elevation
Airgun rated to hold poi

It just doesn't exist.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 does NOT come with 1/4 moa on the turret adjustments.

Sooooo, anyone know of a good scope for Field Target that has the above?

Kermit Airgun Club
http://www.kermitairgunclub.com

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login JCKitchens)
YF

Why 1/4" click???

November 28 2004, 9:12 PM 

Wouldn't 1/8" be better eswpecially at closer reanges common to air rifles???

Johnny C. Kitchens

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

For Field Target use, I find that not having to go around the elevation knob

November 28 2004, 9:19 PM 

more than once is better in keeping track of things while your shooting. It speeds up the process of dialing in the yardage...

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

You are limiting yourself.

November 28 2004, 9:38 PM 

No, I don't mean about the overall requirements, but the diameter. 40-44 mil diameter is NOT going to get you anywhere near where you want to be. You have not stated, or I missed it, what gun it is going on, so I presume a PCP. Go with the largest scope you can put on your rifle as the light collecting ability of the larger scopes is much better for range finding. If you up your diameter to 50mm, there are a couple of scopes that will fit the bill. If you go even bigger, there are a couple of more that will work. Good scope mounts are not expensive and you will be able to get either a single piece or two piece mount that will get your scope above the action. You are right that there is not one 40-44 mil scope that has 1/4 min. clicks in the 8-32 zoom range. I cannot find one, either. But increase the scope diameter and sure enough, they start to appear. I had an 1/8 min. scope, 8.5x34, and it worked fine. I had it set up so that only targets closer than 11 yards required the turret to be rotated past one turn.

Keyrigger

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

It's for a spinger. HW97. Don't want to go over a 44 objective

November 28 2004, 9:56 PM 

so I can use a 200 series BKL mount.

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

You should rethink what you need, then.

November 28 2004, 10:24 PM 

As long as you insist on keeping that mount, you are not going to get a 1/4 min. turret, you will have to settle for 1/8 min. Hakko makes a number of scopes that will do, but I don't know how close they focus. Deben has one and I just found a Burris scope! It is 8-32x44, but it has a 1/6 MOA click. First I have ever heard of that but it is very CLOSE to your perfect scope.

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

Can you give me the model number of that Buris 1/6moa scope? Thanks.

November 28 2004, 10:53 PM 

Sounds like it might work out...

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

Re: Can you give me the model number of that Buris 1/6moa scope? Thanks.

November 28 2004, 10:57 PM 

Here is a link directly to the scope.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200868/burris_signature_select_8-32x44.htm

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

Thanks KeyRigger.... Appreciate the link. Nice looking scope too....nt

November 29 2004, 12:32 AM 

no text

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

Just about forgot this..

November 29 2004, 8:35 AM 

One of the fellows I shoot with, had a HW 97 with the Deben Sidewinder 8.5-34 x 52mm on it. He never had a bit of trouble with it, and it ranged very well. It was a nice combination and he mounted the scope with a two piece ring set from Sportsmatch.

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

Also, look at this scope, as it is specifically airgun rated.

November 29 2004, 10:32 AM 

A custom reticule might be needed, but if a plex will do the job with clicking, then you are set.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/special.html

Have fun.

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login EGGarner)
YFOT

Does the Signature Burris focus down to 10 yards?... NT

November 29 2004, 10:14 AM 

Thanks, Greg

Respond to this message   

(Login JCKitchens)
YF

They go down to 7 yards...

November 29 2004, 5:12 PM 

I have one, and the optics are awesome...

Johnny C. Kitchens

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

If your referring to the Deben Hawke scopes, I heard they are Chinese..

November 28 2004, 10:57 PM 

so that makes me leary that the optics aren't that great, or that they will keep their zero after continued elevation adjustments like you use when you are Field Target shooting...

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

Some are, some are not.

November 28 2004, 11:17 PM 

Pleased to say that all the Deben scopes I have work very, very well. My FT monster is totally repeatable, Japanese made (Nikon), and worth every cent I paid. Honestly, I don't use the other scopes for clicking, only the FT scope. I use the mildot on the others. I had one of the Chinese made Deben scopes, and the optics were very, very good. We compared it side by side to a Leupold and it held its own. It also held very well against my Hi Mag, but it is not as good at transmiting red light (personal observation) and that might have something to do with the lighted reticule in the Hi Mag. However, the turrets were completely repeatable on the Mil Pro I owned. They are now called the Sidewinder, and they are just as repeatable. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you, as a distributor, do not pay for the higher end quality, then your customers will get a lower cost, but not as well built, scope. Most optic houses build to your spec and if you want high end turrets and internal optics, you get them. 15 dollar scopes come out of the same plants that thousand plus dollar scopes come out of.

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   
ricdoug
(Login ricdoug)
YF

This one meets the spec...

November 28 2004, 10:00 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

Thanks Ric, but all the BSA platinum/contender scopes I

November 28 2004, 10:54 PM 

have used will not hold poi after moving the elevation screw and coming back to zero....

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   
ricdoug
(Login ricdoug)
YF

I wish you the best in your search, Robert. I know you are...

November 29 2004, 12:11 AM 

passionate about field target. I'm praying now so you will receive proper guidance to your path. Your answer will come soon from higher authority. The cheap BSA 4X fixed scopes work great on pumpers. Ric

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

Thanks Ric. Coming from a brother, that means a lot!

November 29 2004, 12:31 AM 

I guess I just spent too much time and money getting to this point, and I'm ready to get the FT rifle finished up and complete.

I see how these guys show up at FT matches, some don't even practice, and they just pull the air rifle out, and it's shooting awesome. Wouldn't that be nice? haha. One day Ric....

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   
ricdoug
(Login ricdoug)
YF

They practice also, Robert. Saying they don't is part of their

November 29 2004, 12:52 AM 

phsychee. Your passion and guidance from divine power will prevail. The power of proper prayer is not to be challenged by mortal or evil challenge. Follow your spiritual guidance and you will prevail. That is why I am alive today! Prayer worked for me in combat and will guide you to achieve your dreams, Robert. Ric

Respond to this message   

(Login MountainLyon)
YF

The scope I want doesn't exist either.

November 28 2004, 10:15 PM 

I want a compact low power scope with mildots that is mag springer rated. The Leupold 3-9EFR with the ballistic plex reticle out of a Burris would be really cool. I guess there's just not enough people shooting springers long range offhand to justify making one.

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunner467)
YFOT

frustrating, isn't it? I'd love to have a elite 4200 w/ 1/4 moa clicks...

November 28 2004, 10:55 PM 

That would be the perfect scope...

Kermit Airgun Club

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

What are your specs? There most likely is a scope out there. n/t

November 28 2004, 11:18 PM 

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   

(Login MountainLyon)
YF

3-9x32 or 40, A/O, mildot, fully coated,

November 29 2004, 12:12 AM 

lifetime warranty. Small mildots and I don't need them on the sides or top, that's why I like the reticle in the burris compact, just don't like the way it died after a dozen shots on the R1.

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

I see what you mean.

November 29 2004, 8:39 AM 

There are lots of 3-9 compacts out there, but the reticule will be a no-go. I found about 5 that would do the job, but the reticule aces it. Good luck.

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

Why not get Burris to custom make your scope?

November 29 2004, 10:30 AM 

Just spent a few minutes looking into the Burris line. They have specific scopes for high recoiling air rifles, and you can get them to retro fit a 3-9 compact scope with the reticule you are looking for. Worth a try, as I bet the first scope you had was a regular Burris, and not from the R/A line.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/special.html

Take a look at this page.

Keyrigger

Respond to this message   

(Login MountainLyon)
YF

The Burris my R1 killed

November 29 2004, 12:25 PM 

was a compact 4-12 airgun scope. It will be headed back to them shortly. Burris are not springer tough IMO.

Respond to this message   
chuck
(Login charlie9g)
YF

if i heard right

November 29 2004, 12:07 AM 

leupold has a place to send the scopes for reticle work, check with leupold on this, and that outfit in florida custom reticle (?) does this work.
you are a pretty stubborn guy lyon so getting this done will be a lot easier than sorting out a recalcitrant patriot.
carl/thumper 2 iirc is big on leupolds for this and other reasons.

Respond to this message   

(Login MountainLyon)
YF

I might look into that eventually.

November 29 2004, 12:17 AM 

I heard of that once before but I heard that there might be a long wait. I wouldn't want to have to buy another scope while waiting for a year for a custom reticle.

Respond to this message   

(Login broomhandlemauser)

TRY

November 29 2004, 5:23 AM 

The Hawke SideWinder

Respond to this message   

(Login dargyres)
YF

New Weaver Scope

November 29 2004, 11:39 AM 

Hello,

I have a "new" T24 that goes down to 10 yards and has 1/4 clicks...of course Weaver (Blount) stopped making them.

Word on the silhouette pages is that due to pressure/demand/whatever they are bringing back the 24X and maybe the 36X in 1/4" clicks. A competitor named Cathy Winstead is the driving force behind that movement.

I know a fixed isn't what you want, but I have a Grand Slam 6-20 that has 1/4" clicks, but not target turrets.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - It is IMPOSSIBLE to find the scope i'm looking for. They just don't make it., unless...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.