<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

walther model 55

January 14 2006 at 4:14 PM
super  (Login supersundance)

Just had a old guy call me with a 50 or so year old never shot walther model 55 serial 074855. His father in law was a gunsmith and gave it o him. Iguessing this is a quality piece and wondering what it looks like and how fast it may shoot? thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

Walther LG 55

January 14 2006, 4:41 PM 

Barrel-cocking, spring-piston, non-recoilless target rifle. Build quality and finish are among the VERY best of post-war airguns. Simple design, excellent trigger, very accurate. Available with a wide range of stock, trigger, and sight options.

Fairly short, small action, only about a 550 fps gun (.177) if all is in order.

If you don't want it, call me, I'm serious!

Respond to this message   

TStray
(Login TStray)
YC

A few early Walthers..pics

January 14 2006, 4:58 PM 

The two on the bottom are model 55's one sports a Walnut Master stock while the other has the rarer Walnut Tyrolean stock.
Walther also stocked the LG 55 in Beech.

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   
John Ulrich
(Login sgtjohn_1)
YFOT

A couple more...pics...

January 14 2006, 5:36 PM 

Respond to this message   
super
(Login supersundance)

Whats with...

January 14 2006, 5:45 PM 

Whats the deal with the double trigger? The real sad part apart this whole deal is the guy is a old guy from germany (lives here now) father in law was a gunsmith in germany, and when newer gun laws came out the guy told me "this was probly a stupid thing to do but i smashed a whole bunch of beautiful guns" so he didn,t get in trouble. Can you imagine what he might of had. He only kept this one because it was a pellet gun. If i do get it it will probly be for sale but i won,t get it for a few months as he,s far away and i won,t go there for a while. thanks for all the pics and info guys.

Respond to this message   
Gaines Blackwell
(Login GTBlackwell)
YFOT

Walther sold double set triggers as an option on LG 55's,

January 14 2006, 6:41 PM 

John's example is absolutely beautiful. You pull the front trigger, about a pound and a half which sets the rear trigger in a shoot mode...several onces of pressure and it fires, hence the term "double set trigger. It is a safe way of having a hair trigger. You point at the target then set the trigger. They are not common on the 55 which was a popular early 10 M target rifle.

There are alot of misconceptions about gun and airgun ownership in Europe. It is more difficult to own a firearm but not impossible and certainly not illegal if you abide by the law. Depending on the country, you have to take safety courses, keep your guns locked up or at a club where you are a member...popular in Germany, and you may be limited to the number you own . Franconia and Antes, large outdoor goods stores in Germany, not unlike Cabela's here, have hundreds of firearms, rifles and shotguns that people buy and shoot....both target and gamewise. I was recently in northern France and visited a gunshop with fine hunting rifles, the prime game of the area being wild boar. I have visited gunshops in the UK, Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Switzerland, Spain and the Czech Republic. People actually walk in and talk and handle firearms, amazing. The buying process is more involved but not impossible or the shops would not exist.
If you wish I will be glad to go over with you how to airmail or ship by sea an airgun from Germany to the US. Quite easy and will cost you about 45 to 55 USD and air takes about 2 weeks on average. I will be glad to send you the information in German if that helps.

Walthers are finely crafted pieces, give it a try and if not to your liking sell it to Mike Driskill. They are precise target rifles of fairly low velocity and do not lend themselves to being "hopped up" powerwise. It is certainly worth you effort to get a nice example

Respond to this message   
super
(Login supersundance)

I,m in...

January 14 2006, 7:22 PM 

I live in canada and so does the german chap. Prob is any firearm needs to be registered so he smashed the firearms and kept the only pellet gun. I should of clarified. Thanks for all the info and help. Will have to ask him if it has 2 triggers or only one.

Respond to this message   
Gaines Blackwell
(Login GTBlackwell)
YFOT

Be glad to help any way I can, most of my guns are imported, 4 from Canada...

January 14 2006, 8:36 PM 

But most from Germany. Was not trying to comment on your situation as in general many of us "south of the border" folks think thast Europeans cannot own firearms.
I will be more than happy to share import information but Canada may present a different case. Lots of Canadians post here and surely know more than I.....Gaines

Respond to this message   

TStray
(Login TStray)
YC

John, do you still have the LG 52

January 14 2006, 6:40 PM 

I sold you sometime back ?
Would love to see some pics of that one, of all the rifles I have sold that is one I should have kept.

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   
John Ulrich
(Login sgtjohn_1)
YFOT

Sure do, Tom...pics...

January 14 2006, 11:18 PM 

Poor quality pics, I'm afraid...

This message has been edited by sgtjohn_1 on Jan 15, 2006 11:45 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.