<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Walther 55, HW 55

February 2 2006 at 2:19 PM
  (Login HTD)
YF

Recently a friend asked me to try to find some literature on a rifle I had sent him. I have boxes of misc. paperwork and extras for the various rifles and pistols I have owned over the years. Sad to say, I have parts that I haven't a clue what they go to. At the time I thought I'd never forget. However after MANY years of accumulating airgun stuff, I realize now how important labelling parts really is.
Anyway one of the things that hit me was how much I used to enjoy my Walther 55's and the HW 55. They were awesome rifles. I had one with a double set trigger that I especially enjoyed. I can't remember who got any of them though when I moved on to FT guns when they became popular.
So if by any chance, the lucky person who bought a Walther 55 with double set triggers might be reading this and has grown tired of that old ancient rifle, send me a line. Alternatively, I might be willing to adopt someone else's "child" if my "baby" doesn't turn up.
So my advice for the day is to label and bag all parts you have. Even if you have a mind like a steel trap, you may not be the one sorting through all that stuff some day and it will be very helpful for others to identify what you had. Also if you are like me and have really oddball one of a kind stuff, have some sort of identification system so that your family will know what it is.
Sometimes the story that goes with a gun is as precious as the gun is itself. If you are like me, you will stay with this sport/hobby for decades. Many of the guns you keep and don't trade are because of the memories you have with them. Write them down so that others will know the story when some day you aren't there to tell them!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dutchmanmk3)

Owen's Coin Collection...

February 2 2006, 3:48 PM 

If you've ever seen the movie "Throw Momma From the Train" Danny DeVito's character Owen is constantly obsessive, and protecting of his old cigar box "coin collection". When Owen and Larry (Billy Crystal) find themselves in a bind and need cash. Larry becomes furious to find out that Owen's precious collection is nothing more than some random change scavenged from ball games, circuses and childhood movies. Owen very Poignantly explains to Larry how every single coin is a momento of all of the Very Best Of Times he had shared with his late father. Only then Larry discovers their True Value to Owen.

When I started into stock making I soon learned that all the new equipment was Very Expensive, and unlike construction equipment pays for itself Very Slowly ! I had to make many sacrifices, and let go of the Bulk of my collection.

This meant choosing which guns meant the most to me, and which ones were expendable. I wasn't entirely surprised to discover that the Mint, Perfect, Cherries were the first to go, but I quickly began to realize the true value of the few I could NEVER part with. Each and every one had a story. All were the product of spledid trades with folks who have become Wonderful & Dear Friends through the years. I am thoroughly convinced the each and every one posseses some hint of their character. Their Kindness, Generosity, and Loyalty is worth Far More than any monetary value they posses. Many would appear to be imperfect or well worn to the critical collector, but In My World they absolutely Precious. ;'^)

The only way I might ever part with them would be to "Share" them with "Yet Another" Good, and Dear Friend... That is a Certain Joy in this community.

Respond to this message   
Bryan Enoch
(Login BEnoch)
YF

Walther LG 55

February 2 2006, 5:28 PM 

My friend was given an old LG55 by one of his old friends. It had been in storage and wouldn't shoot. My friend asked and begged me to work on it for him, and get it shooting. It's been a pleasure to learn about and after I put a lot of TLC into it, it shoots great. I've been asking him if he wanted to sell it to me, that I really liked it and for him to let me know first if he decides to get rid of it. A few day's ago, while talking to Doug, he said he wanted me to keep this gun, after all the hard work I've put into it that it just seems like it's got a really good home. Wow! What a gift! I'm still trying to figure out to show him my appreciation. It's really a beauty, doesn't have double set triggers though, but a really light smooth plastic single trigger. Wish someome could tell me the year it was made, serial number is 209892.

I love the shape of the stock, the smoothness of cocking the gun, and it's smooth and quiet shot cycle. It just feels right, when you shoulder it, and my eye automatically lines up with the factory peep sights.

It's found a happy home indeed.

Bryan

Respond to this message   

(Login GTBlackwell)
YFOT

Hawley, that is great advice. As I get more stuff it's origin or....

February 2 2006, 6:56 PM 

even what it is often gets lost. I have started using freezer bags with labeling places on them for parts and have made tags for guns with pertinent information on them.
As for finding your Walther LG with double triggers I wish you the best of luck, they are indeed fine to shoot. I love that slight click when pulling the rear trigger to "set" the front. . Only thing close to it is operating the mechanical system of a FWB 300S. I am infinately fond of Walther DTs. I am exceedingly lucky to have both a Match and a Tyrolean but it was a 4 year hunt!
David, I have owned a dozen LG 55's and never seen nor heard of a plastic trigger on one. I friend with an equal number has not either. The LG 55 uses a modular trigger, extremely precise for it's generation. One of mine has what appears to be a straight target trigger from the factory but it is also steel. I would love to see your triggrt, learn new things all the time. Early springers appear to have countless variations....GB

Respond to this message   

(Login BEnoch)
YF

This one's got a plastic trigger guard and trigger

February 2 2006, 8:42 PM 

My name is Bryan, (David is my brother)

This LG55 has both plastic trigger and trigger guard and both are factory. I've had this gun completely apart from one end to the other. It's got the lead in the forestock, steel barrel sleeve, rear appature sight and front hooded peep. This trigger is very light and crisp.

The fastest way to get a picture is to e-mail me, and I'll send you one.

I would like to know what speed (fps) these should have with a typical match pellet?

Bryan

Respond to this message   

(Login GTBlackwell)
YFOT

Bryan, sorry about the name! That is most interesting to me...

February 2 2006, 8:57 PM 

it deepens my theory anout many variations on older German springers, I keep finding subtle differences and it is facinating to me in this day of mass production. My two double trigger guns are plastic guards like most but integrated into the trigger mechanism. The trigger module is separate unlike regular triggers. GB

PS, I tend to shoot 7.9 grain WC's, highest fps was a rebuilt at 597 average, most run 550 to 575...several very nice shooter are just over 515. probably a little tired.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Walther 55, HW 55
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.