<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Here's a Question - Why are PCP Rifles So Expensive?

March 8 2006 at 1:42 PM

Jim  (Login Bastropjim)

This is not meant to be a troll.

But I can't help but wonder why precharged pneumatic air rifles are so darned expensive.

What do we have in a PCP rifle? An air tube, a receiver, a barrell, a trigger group, a valve, a stock, and perhaps a pair of sights? Isn't that about it? We have all of these in a quality spring air rifle (except the valve), but it costs 1/3 to 1/2 as much.

So why the extra expense? Is it due to the limited market and corresponding markup required to sell fewer guns?

Please educate me.

R/ Jim

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ricdoug
(Login ricdoug)
YF

Jim, I've read before that the safety involved with extreme high pressure...

March 8 2006, 1:45 PM 

components drives up the cost. Ric

Respond to this message   

(Login c842517)

From personal experience, I'd have to say that shooting one changes one's mind about their

March 8 2006, 1:50 PM 

worth. I never dreamt I would spend that kind of money on one, but I also never dreamt they would shoot so well! I truly wish my first purchase had been a PCP, but there is no doubt that I had to experience the others before I'd appreciate (and "spring" for) the PCP. It was a journey in which the first steps could not be skipped. Might have been different if I lived in an area with active shooters close by. The one I own is the second one I've seen.

Just my .02 worth.....

Respond to this message   

JohnnySweden
(Login JohnnySweden)

They are not so expensive over here..

March 8 2006, 2:22 PM 

Actually I feel they are quite inexpensive.

A upmarket springer is about the same money and even a cheap PCP can outshoot a normal springer with an average shooter.

A FX Typhoon (wooden stock, LW-barrel) is $560 here, a Ruger 10-22 RB (typical rimfire) is $500 and a normal springer (HW95 aka R9) is $430.

A little more expensive but easier to shoot accuratly then the springer and easier to find space to use then a rimfire.

The most inexpensive PCP here is the BAM-50 with MSRP at $375.

The most inexpensive springer that anyone wants to own here is the HW30S (aka R7) at $250.

"If guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns.
Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers.
Only the government and a few outlaws.
I intend to be among those outlaws."

Respond to this message   

(Login MikeEarly)
YC

FX Typhoon (wooden stock, LW-barrel) $560

March 8 2006, 3:06 PM 

Dang, good deal!

Respond to this message   

(Login rlepper95)
YC

Never seen one that cheep.....

March 8 2006, 6:40 PM 

Can I ask where?

Respond to this message   

Fabian Hernandez
(Login rimugu)
YF

Is the Ruger price correct?

March 8 2006, 3:16 PM 

$500 for a Ruger 10/22?
I don't think the target version goes above $300 and the regular version should not go above $200

Fabian

rimugu

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnnySweden)

They are indeed expensive here...

March 8 2006, 4:45 PM 

The permit adds another $30 and you are only allowed to use 5-shot mags while hunting.

Targetversions are even rarer becouse they are much more expensive.

Before 2003 the 22LR semiautos were not legal at all here.

"If guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns.
Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers.
Only the government and a few outlaws.
I intend to be among those outlaws."

Respond to this message   

(Login jpsaxnc)
YFOT

Well Jim, Compared to what? there are springers that cost 3-4 times as much,

March 8 2006, 2:49 PM 

as an entry level pcp. james

Respond to this message   
Wilson, D
(Login Milsec)
YF

You are correct...

March 8 2006, 5:28 PM 

" Is it due to the limited market and corresponding markup required to sell fewer guns?"

That is the MAIN reason right there!

For example...certain Ruger and Marlin rimfire rifles, have been made in the multi-million unit range, not the multi-thousand range, and that is why they sell for 1/3-1/2 the price of an equal quality PCP rifle.

Dave

If my post does not meet your standards, then LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.

Respond to this message   
Jonathan Williams
(Login jlwilliams)
YF

That is the reason airguns in general are ...

March 8 2006, 5:33 PM 

more expensive than firearms, but doesn't address why PCPs cost so much more than springers. I tend to agree with the poster that I just can't justify why PCPs cost what they do other than they are the latest thing in airguns and people always are willing to pay more to have the latest greatest. I just don't see twice the expense to produce a PCP as a springer on average.

Respond to this message   

(Login chevell)

Re: That is the reason airguns in general are ...

March 8 2006, 6:50 PM 

It's obvious to me that between the importing and the mark up someone is making some money on us americans.1500 for a pcp? whats up with that?For those prices I'll just stick with my Career .25 it's better than all the other pcp's anyway.

Respond to this message   

(Login cowbirdchiller)

Yep, volume creates huge cost efficiencies for manufactured goods

March 8 2006, 6:55 PM 

Think about the set up pay back to machine  100 vs a 1000 or 10,000 pieces and the material volume discounts not to mention the process& product engineering that such volume can justify.

NRA Endowment Member

Respond to this message   

(Login dggdenver)

Has anyone heard of capitalism and free markets????

March 8 2006, 7:16 PM 

If you don't like what something costs, don't buy it! If enough people don't buy it, the seller needs to drop the price, stop trying to sell it or go out of business.

If air gun manufacturers and vendors are making such huge profits, why aren't there more of them?

-Dale

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login bib4tuna)

Re: Has anyone heard of capitalism and free markets????

March 8 2006, 8:17 PM 

the problem with that is there are always idiots that need to throw gobs of money away. thats why they still make impalas and thats why CDs still cost 17 dollars.

Respond to this message   

(Login dggdenver)

In countries where idiots aren't free to spend their money as foolishly as they want.....

March 8 2006, 8:42 PM 

don't usually allow people to own guns!

-Dale

Respond to this message   

(Login clasicalgas)
YFOT

Try building one,then testing it to twice it's working pressure,then

March 9 2006, 12:47 PM 

try to make it get 50+ shots within 25 fps variation at 18+ ft/lbs. Not so easy as you might think.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Here's a Question - Why are PCP Rifles So Expensive?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.