<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mineral Oil

April 27 2006 at 5:48 PM
ChrisN  (Login ChrisNicholson)
YFOT

Is it a good type of oil to use for external metal protection on our guns?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ribbonstone)

Re: Mineral Oil

April 27 2006, 6:09 PM 

The thin penetraing or water displacing oils are too likely to wrok their way into compression chamber (spring or pneumatic) for my liking. Silicon treated cloths do OK for keeping the outside of the gun rust free; in a damp climate might use mineral oil (but don't expect it to be a heavy duty rust protectant). WAX works...basic Johnson's Paste Wax...let it dry and buff it....go ahead and do the stock too.

Respond to this message   
Brad
(Login bradcdavis00)

Re: Mineral Oil

April 27 2006, 6:44 PM 

I use BreakFree CLP on my AG's external surfaces. You can buy it at WalMart and at gunstores.

Respond to this message   

(Login ekmeister)
YFOT

It's Pretty Thick Stuff

April 28 2006, 11:35 AM 

And as a general statement, the oils that always seem to test the best for rust protection, in several independant tests, are the thinner lubes. Thick lubes tend to stay on the surface, and can actually trap moisture, and produce rust faster. I found that to be a fact long ago.

The thin oils have a better ability to penetrate the surface pores in the metal and finish, and that's why they're used most often, and successfully.

That's not to say that all thin lubes are created equal. Rem-oil, G-96 Spray, Beeman MP5/B.C. Sheath and a few others always seem to end up at the top of the list in those tests. They don't always finish in the exact same order, but they usually come out fairly-close to the top.

WD40 is very good for lots of uses, including surface rust removal on guns. But it never comes out too well as a rust protectant, in spite of its thin consistancy.

Regards,

Ed

The Airgun Tune-Meister
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ekreally/myhomepage/business.html

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology".

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

Ballistol

April 28 2006, 12:54 PM 

"Mineral oil" is a term that is used in casual speech for many different products, some of which are highly reactive and should not be used on wood, rubber, or plastic.

Technically speaking, "mineral oil" properly refers to a by-product of turning oil into gasoline, which is colorless and chemically quite neutral, and would be safe to put on an airgun.

Ballistol is a time-tested (90+ years) German product for cleaning and preserving airguns that is absolutely my favorite. Just great stuff. Its main ingredient is medical-grade mineral oil, combined with other cleaning and preserving agents.

So, I don't quite see the point of putting mineral oil on a gun when you can buy Ballistol and really do it right.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Mineral Oil
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.