<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Fox sightings during daylight -- cause for concern?

June 22 2006 at 10:48 AM
gerbilfart  (Login gerbilfart)

I live in a suburban neighborhood, and my lot backs up to a wooded corridor that is home to lots of wildlife (deer, coons, squirrels, etc.). Lately myself and some neighbors have noticed a gray fox running around the neighborhood during the day. I thought foxes were nocturnal, and that this type of behavior indicated that the fox might be rabid. The fox does not immediately run when confronted, either. What do you guys think?

Gerb

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login DonMatzeder)
YFOT

I see foxes all the time in daylight

June 22 2006, 10:58 AM 

and the fact that he does not run is a factor of his living around people all his life. Nobody has shot him yet so it must be OK. Your only concern should be cats and small dogs that he will make a family meal out of.

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

Respond to this message   
Steve in 'Dago
(Login acusteve)
YFOT

Before the coyotes moved in to my 'hood,

June 22 2006, 11:17 AM 

....I used to see foxes in the daytime only. Now I never see them. They were real cute little Kit foxes, no threat to the cats, but the 'yotes killed them off along with all the other small predators that used to combine forces to keep the rats and mice in check.

So, I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that you see a fox in daytime.

Respond to this message   
Keith D.
(Login KD1E)

Normal.

June 22 2006, 11:53 AM 

In the spring when they have a litter to take care of, the foxes will hunt during the day. To many mouths to feed to take a break.

A few days ago, I had a female red fox (who appeared to be a nursing mother) come eat bird seed off my deck. She would stay just the other side of the sliding glass door while we ate dinner.

She was beautiful!

I've also seen different, more aggressive behavior in the gray squirrels when they have young in the nest. The adults get really hungry and are less cautions about taking food from us. We have several who will take peanuts out of our hands at the back door.

- Keith -

Respond to this message   

chevell
(Login SCgunner)

Grey foxes hanging out in my yard

June 22 2006, 11:58 AM 

I had two young grey foxes hang out in my back yard for a couple days. They were active at night more than the day but they just hung out in the shade during the day. Those things could scale an eight foot roof in the blink of an eye. I took pics of them and was able to get within five feet without them moving. Those grey ones are really strong and nothing like a kit fox. They were too cool to shoot and didn't cause any harm from what I could see.

Respond to this message   
Joe in MD
(Login jrmcdaniel)
YFOT

Coyotes in Chicago

June 22 2006, 12:12 PM 

I saw in the paper a day or so ago that there are several thousand coyotes in Chicago -- they are apparently very secretive as opposed to foxes which I see often although I do live in a rural area. I personally leave the foxes alone as they control the voles and Canada geese.

Best,

Joe

Respond to this message   
gnorbury
(Login gnorbury)

No problem

June 22 2006, 5:26 PM 

We have three red foxes who recently started making guest appearances in the early evening an hour or two before dusk. I have noticed a distinct lack of rabbits & squirrels recently, so maybe they are helping me with population control...

Graham

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Fox sightings during daylight -- cause for concern?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.