<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anschutz Double Set Trigger

February 9 2007 at 9:57 AM
  (Login DonC)
YFOT

Would this trigger from a rimrife rifle fit into an Anschutz 2002 air rifle?
TIA,
Don

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

Most likely, not. Very different setups inside.

February 9 2007, 10:35 AM 

The question remains, though, Why would you want to put a trigger mechanism in a rifle, that adds movement to the rifle and duration to the lock time?
I know they look and act very nicely, as I have one on a centerfire rifle of mine, but I wouldn't trade the trigger group on my Steyr Match rifle for a double set trigger, no matter who made it.

Keyrigger

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Respond to this message   

(Login DonC)
YFOT

Re: Most likely, not. Very different setups inside.

February 9 2007, 3:21 PM 

Kennyriger and Gaines,
Thanks for the reply.
Why does a double trigger increase lock time?
I'm interested in this double trigger because the 2002 factory trigger does not function when it's really hot outside. I have already replaced the trigger unit with a new one and the problem remains. Other Field Target owners don't seem to have any problem. I have it set at 2 oz like other competitors.
Very nice collection you have Gaines! You really know your stuff about double triggers airgun history. The one double trigger that I tried was incredible. Final trigger was lighter than any other trigger I
I've tried. I'll bet it was 10 grams or less.

Respond to this message   

Keyrigger
(Login keyrigger)
YFOT

This should help to understand why.

February 10 2007, 1:24 AM 

You must think in terms of how many operations must be performed before the true sear is released. Every facet of a sear release takes time, and in the case of a set trigger, there are two sears released. The first one is the sear of the set trigger. Time is taken while the striking portion of the set trigger moves to hit the second sear that holds the valve striker or hammer. More time is then taken to actually release the propelling medium. What a set trigger allows is a very, very light trigger weight, without an extremely complicated mechanism that can hold a very strong sear/hammer combination, but release it with mere ounces. Ever millisecond that you add in time for the trigger to release the sear, then the propelling medium, you increase the amount of movement that you can introduce to the barrel. In fact, most set trigger systems are very simple in comparison to a fine match two stage or single stage trigger. The idea is to have the least amount of time from the releasing of the sear, to the pellet leaving the barrel, which I am sure you are aware of. This is where "Lock Time" truly applies, with set triggers vs. single/double stage triggers.

Keyrigger

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Respond to this message   

(Login GTBlackwell)
YFOT

Don , not even close and I agree with Keyrigger,

February 9 2007, 11:11 AM 

The modern trigger is much more suitable anyway. I am primarily a collector of 50-70 era airguns and love double set triggers, deutsche stechers, as they are known. Not because they are better but because of the feel and character, the are the trigger equivalent of cocking a FWB 3oo . Wonderful to squeeze the rear a pound or two then just touch the front...snick-thunk. Most are based on the Mauser 98 sniper set up of WW 11 and were adapted to airguns primarily by Walther in the 52,53 and 55 series and by HW in a few early HW 55's. They are fairly rare in Walther's and extremely rare in HW's. I hear Hammerli made one but have not seen one and Diana made a sort of faux DT. Do not know of others.

Anschutz indeed made a 22 LR with DT's but did not make an airgun version that I know of..
[IMG][/IMG]

a HW 55 DT set
[IMG][/IMG]

Mauser K 98 sniper DT
[IMG][/IMG]

HW 55 DTs ...These are almost identical to the K 98
[IMG][/IMG]

And a Walther LG 55 DT.
[IMG][/IMG]

Lastly one I threw together last week, just messing around in the shop..
[IMG][/IMG]

GB

Respond to this message   
Will
(Login saddlemountain)
YC

Here is the Anschutz 5039

February 9 2007, 12:06 PM 

international set trigger. Push the front trigger forward to set. My 1913 has it and I have one on my BR Annie. It was an option on their Super Match rifles in the 70's. It adjusts down to 5 grams, that's 1/6th oz.! I was shooting on an outdoor range beside a guy sighting in his 30-06 and his blast would trip my set trigger and fire my rifle (of course it is only on the target when you set it). "@#$% how did I shoot a seven???"

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Anschutz Double Set Trigger
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.