<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Scope rail on RWS 34?

February 12 2007 at 4:10 PM
  (Login DaveKern)
YFOT

Can it be unscrewed, then shimmed at the rear so I can use a BSA or Tasco red dot, or even standard (non adjustable) scope rings? I know its supposed to use a drooper mount, but I have everything else but that.

Thought I'd check around first about unscrewing and shimming the scope rail in case something "magical" might happen that would cause me grief.
Thanks!
DaveK

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
airbuff
(Login airbuff)
YC

Dave, Maybe you have enough adj. in the Red Dot

February 12 2007, 4:21 PM 

w/o shimming /drooping etc. Have you tried sighting it in?
I would hesitate to remove that rail. Maybe just a thin shim between mount and Red Dot would do it if needed.
Rob Prosio

Respond to this message   
Mulby
(Login Mulby..)

I think those screws are actually rivets in disquise.nt

February 12 2007, 5:48 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login ekmeister)
YFOT

They're Peened Like Rivets (and a suggestion)

February 12 2007, 6:13 PM 

If you do figure out how to loosen them, you'll never get them tight again. I know because I've done full repairs on the RWS scope rails where someone did manage to get it loose--ugh.

If you can drop about $40, B-Square makes a great rail-attached device that is designed only for droop, no windage, and holds very well. It clamps on a dovetail/11mm riser, and provides its own adjustable 11mm riser directly above it. It's easily re-adjustable if you move it from gun to gun, but it stays put once tightened. I think everyone should have one in their airgun parts bin, just in case their next airgun comes drooped to the max. Have a look:

http://www.straightshooters.com/bsquare/b21701111mmto11mmbase.html

For even less money than that, take a few shots with your scope centered at 10 yards, and send the resulting target to Tim at Mac1 with your own scope rings. He'll machine the rings to cancel out the droop up to 4" or so--(you'll have to check his site about the maximum droop amount; he can even do a little windage adjustment). In any case, your newly droop compensated rings will stay put forever.

Regards,

Ed

The Airgun Tune-Meister
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ekreally/myhomepage/business.html

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---S.M.

Respond to this message   

(Login DaveKern)
YFOT

I had a hunch that if it were easy, everybody would be doing it.

February 12 2007, 7:05 PM 

Thanks for saving me from an unpleasant surprise!
DaveK

Respond to this message   

(Login bigferret)

Re: I had a hunch that if it were easy, everybody would be doing it.

February 12 2007, 8:11 PM 

Yup, you don't want to even think about removing it. I did and it's a nightmare.

Respond to this message   

Charles W.
(Login CruelHalo)
YFOT

My low-cost solution...

February 12 2007, 8:38 PM 

I had the same problem with my RWS 34 .22. I mounted my BSA by taking a 3 to 4 inch strip of electrical tape and folding it 2 or 3 times and placing it in the lower half of the rear ring mount and set the scope on it and then tightend the top half of the ring. I've put 500 shots through it and as of today I hit one-hole 4-shot string at 12 yards... needless to say it works like a charm. I'll try posting a pic tomorrow.

EDIT:
I forgot to add that I didn't touch the scope rail.

Respond to this message   

(Login skipperckwpeg)
YC

you need a good drooper mount for the 34........

February 12 2007, 9:29 PM 

if you ever want to mount a scope on the 34 I would suggest a Drooper mount from Mac-1 or one of the BKL .007 one piece drooper mounts.

Respond to this message   
stepar
(Login stepar)
YC

Checking for Droop

February 13 2007, 1:16 AM 

Before you spend extra money for a special mount, you might want to check to see if your gun has an issue.
A quick way to do that is to put your gun in a fixed position, then lay a laser level along the scope mount. Shine the laser on a surface ten yards away (arbitrary), and mark the point. Repeat the process laying the level across the barrel. Compare the difference. (Note: The barrel point will be a bit below the scope mount point, simply because the mount is higher than the top surface of the barrel. Look to be about 1/4" - 1/3" difference.)
So - if the barrel mark is a 'tick' below the mount mark - you are probably good to go. My RWS 350 hits close enough that I plan not to ever worry about it.
But if your gun is off - the way I understand BKLs, a .004 drooper will give you 1.44" of correction at 10yds, a .007, 2.52 inches (- fellers, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Respond to this message   

(Login DaveKern)
YFOT

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions

February 13 2007, 10:48 AM 

Guess I'll have to see first if there is an issue, then decide what to do about it. The 34 is just different enough from my other 2 springers, that I may be over thinking. Just wanted a .22 springer for those times when I didn't want to do the multi pump route, or when I wanted a bigger hole in a pop can then a .177 delivers!

Airguns are soooooo much fun!
DaveK

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Scope rail on RWS 34?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.