<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Air Arms S400 Classic(.177) - How do you guys like these guns?

February 22 2007 at 12:31 PM
  (Login Trojan1994)
YF

Are the shrouded versions very quiet? How do the triggers compare to say a Rekord, CD, Theoben Mark 4 or BSA PCP's units?

How many shots are you getting per fill with say less than a 30fps extreme spread? Do you like how your guns balance for off hand shooting?

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login tarponjoe)
YC

AA400

February 22 2007, 1:54 PM 

Tony, I have a Classic HRB but it is 22 so I can't comment on how quiet a 177 is but I can tell you that the trigger can be adjusted to where it is atleist as good as a Rekord and better than the one BSA Hornet that I have shot. I can't comment on the shot count either as 177 would not be the same as a 22. The balance and handleing is superb and it is a great offhand shooter. If AA would make a 400/410 Classic with adjustable power in 177 I would buy one today. This is my opinion and I am sure others may differ but I have Air Rifles that cost almost tripple the price and I think AA is a real bargain in todays price world.

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the feedback, that's

February 22 2007, 2:08 PM 

good to know that the trigger is on par if not better than my favorites! Good to know it balances nicely off hand as well.

How many "good shots" do you get per fill?

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   

(Login tarponjoe)
YC

Mine is 22 Tony but at full power 34FPE with JSBs

February 22 2007, 2:28 PM 

it gets only 20 shots with a 30 fps spread

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Thanks Joe, how loud is it at max power? nt

February 22 2007, 2:29 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login tarponjoe)
YC

Pretty loud about like a Cyclone not nearly as quiet as a

February 22 2007, 2:37 PM 

ERB model where you have the same barrel lenght just a lot more shroud.

Respond to this message   

Adam
(Login shootistinsocal)

It did well in the worlds....

February 22 2007, 2:05 PM 

IIRC..It was the AA400 that took 3rd. Tony I don't think you would be dissapointed.

Adam in SoCal
A is A

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Yes it did Adam, 3rd place with a larger Air Tube added, asaik, the world's gun

February 22 2007, 2:17 PM 

had a larger air cylinder, 520 mm or so, which I believe is the current ERB's Air Cylinder which measures in at 530 mm or so...

Air Arms has yet to let me down Adam...I only get disappointed when guns fail or shoot all over the place when I am not at primary fault, lol...

Hoping to get my FX sorted out or shipped back with a quickness...may have to throw a tarp on my shooting chair now that the rain stopped briefly to see what I can print on paper with that gun...

How are the sound levels on your S400?

Any dislikes?

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   

Adam
(Login shootistinsocal)

I have the AA410 Classic...

February 22 2007, 2:47 PM 

and it report is not alarming. But it is not whisper quiet. You can hear it, it just does not seem to be noticed as a gun shooting

Adam in SoCal
A is A

Respond to this message   

bill h.
(Login mfgwwh)
YC

I have the AA410erb

February 22 2007, 3:10 PM 

Shooting .177 JSB heavies at 850fps it's plenty quiet the only thing I here the ping in the air tube.

I get 30 shots with a max spread of 22fps.

Their are no problems, just opportunities for a solution.

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Thanks for the feedback Bill, that

February 22 2007, 3:23 PM 

is good info., have you tried shooting it at 12fpe and chronied it?

How do you like the balance of your gun? My understanding is that the ERB only has a longer air tube and shroud than a classic and that it's longer air tube & shroud does not alter the balance and feel of the gun when shouldered compared to a classic...

I have never seen or held an S400 in person so am very unfamiliar...

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   

bill h.
(Login mfgwwh)
YC

It balances really well I use my in a kinda informal 10m match every Saturday

February 22 2007, 4:33 PM 

It seems to balance real well with my shooting glove right on the aluminum ring where the pressure gauge is this is just in front of the trigger guard. I have the walnut thumbhole stock.

I haven't turned it that low I am sure it would help the shot count, right now I have it turned down to just a bit under half power.

Their are no problems, just opportunities for a solution.

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Thanks again Bill, classy looking rig you have there!

February 22 2007, 4:37 PM 

Air Arms walnut is always a treat....take it easy and thanks for the info.

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   

(Login crgintx)
YFOT

Still can't out shoot it.

February 22 2007, 3:46 PM 

I've had an S-400 Extra FAC for about 5 years. I had to to detune mine as it shot 990 with CPH's out of the box. Very economical on air. It likes about 2200-2300 for its highest out put. At 55 yards I really don't see a p.o.i. change for about 28-30 shots at the 20 ft/lb level. The AirArms trigger is about as good a trigger that you'll find stock on a sporter style gun. Way ahead of the older Rapid triggers. All of the Rapid triggers I've fired lately are on AZ tuned Theobens. Don't be to in love with a 30 fps extreme spread. I did a lot of testing and did see my long distance groups open even shoot as far down as 50-60 fps below my peak of 926 fps. I was shooting over a chrony from a field target position. I was easily hitting a 1.25 flipper target in light winds again and again with CPH's even as lows as 860 fps.

Respond to this message   

(Login Bowman26)
YFOT

My S400 ERB is quiet

February 23 2007, 12:16 AM 

at mid power setting its quite at wide open a bit louder but not much and at low its almost non existant over the hammer valve ping and pellet smacking the target. My neighbor says it sounds like wood on wood sound but all he is hearing is the impact and plywood rattling against the dog house, I shoot out of a enclosed patio thru a open door to get at least a 20 yard shot.

This is my first PCP but compared to the others I have heard it is very quiet overall and a few club guys even mentioned how quiet it was when they heard it. No crack at all really and much quieter than the RWS Mod 45 & 48 I had years ago.

Still waiting to chrony it but I have been filling to the max and getting 60+ shots at mid power before noticing any POI drop, usually by then it is down to aroud 100 BAR on the rifle cylinder gauge.

I read many people saying the sweet spot for the S400 is around 175 to 190 BAR fills yielding around 30 or so quality shots with the least spread. On a UK forum I see some only charge to 145-150 not sure if that has to do with it being a different cylinder or what but seems low to me for getting many shots off.

As for the trigger I am getting used to it like any other trigger. Lots of take up travel in the 1st stage but you can cleanly feel the 2nd stage engage and from there it is crisp, breaks fairly smooth. Pretty good for being stock. I have not tried to adjust any of the factory trigger settings yet but I may adjust the weight other than that the 2nd stage is distinct enough to feel that the long travel getting there is not a big deal to me. My Steyr M9 has a total length of pull that is only 1/8", now that takes some getting used to!

Anyway so far I am happy and shooting away. More to come as I have info to post in the future.

Dee

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Air Arms S400 Classic(.177) - How do you guys like these guns?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.