<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Steroid Benjamin 392, how to shoot it? (accurately)

July 22 2007 at 2:40 PM
steve  (Login smong2000)
YC

Hi,
I just got my 1st pumper, LE392 that has been steroided by Mac1. I have or have had numerous air rifles from Talon PCPs to springers and CO2 guns and mastered them all pretty quickly. I'm having a heck of a time getting this one to group and tried 3 different scopes on seperate mounts, 5 pellet types, multiple pump levels, and different resting locations. Way too many variables when you have to pump up for each shot. Can anybody give me any advice that can save my arms? My groups are consistently 2+ inches at 17 yds in my basement but it does put a couple shots out of every 5 in the same hole so it seems to have the potential, I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks everyone.
Steve

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
classicalgas
(Login clasicalgas)
YFOT

What pellets have you tried? to reduce variables,do your tests at 6 pumps

July 22 2007, 2:46 PM 

try gamo hunters,JSB exacts,rws superpoint,hobby,superdome.also kodiac/baracuda. The new benji's tend to have largish bores,look for big and soft pellets.

This message has been edited by clasicalgas on Jul 22, 2007 9:19 PM

Respond to this message   
robert
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Check parallax...

July 22 2007, 3:38 PM 

..even if it's an adjustable parallax scope, don't believe the little numbers on the adjustment. Set that rifle down lined up on any type of small mark, hands off, move your head around in the field of view. If the cross hairs dance off the mark, reguardless of what the scope claims, it's not right for that range.

For whatever reason, have had "problem child" pumpers that refused to get in line right away. Pumping them to 10 stroked, firing (even if you just shoot it into the dirt), cocking and firing again (to clear any residual air) and then trying for groups seemed to help when they were new...as they got worn in, the problems seemed to dissappear.

Can't swear every gun will shoot well at 6 pumps, but most do....others seem to show no differnce in grouping with 4, 5 or 6 pumps....but if pressed for a starting point, would go with 6 pumps.

Respond to this message   
mac760
(Login mac760)
YFOT

My LE...

July 22 2007, 8:39 PM 

... had horrible accuracy out to about 20 yards when I first got it; about 2" groups. After over 500 plus pellets through it, it's finally shooting great; groups under an inch now at that distance- which is a huge improvement from how it was shooting before. Someone responding to a previous post of mine stated that the gun simply needed to break in. I don't think anyone else that replied to that post agreed, including myself. Well, my LE has definately gotten better with more use! It isn't as accurate as one of those competition air rifles, but it's easy to successfully plink with at only 4 pumps. I really like having a scope since my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. Shoot at least 500 pellets through it, then tell us how it's shoot'n.

Why the heck won't Crosman just manufacture all their Benjamin/Sheridan's with the dovetailed bolt housing?

BTW, JSB Predators and Gamo Match pellets shoot really good in mine.

Respond to this message   
classicalgas
(Login clasicalgas)
YFOT

I have the feeling these guns need to have the bore broken in

July 23 2007, 1:47 AM 

before they shoot best...the bottoms of the grooves aren't very smooth.Does that fit with your experience?

Respond to this message   

Adam in SoCal
(Login shootistinsocal)

Look down the barrel and see if there is paint in there...

July 22 2007, 4:48 PM 

is so use some Gunk Carb Cleaner and a Q-Tip and clean it out. It takes a few minutes but it is worth it.

Adam in SoCal

Shoot me! You know you want to!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Ian E.
(Login xpos)
YFOT

Check to see if you got paint in the muzzle

July 22 2007, 5:02 PM 

If you do, remove it with paint remover, or brake fliud.
Then shoot some groups. I had the same problem with my
extended Steroid, regular Steroid and my L/E. I had good results with FTS's
in all the rifles at 5-6 pumps. 7-9 pumps in the Steroids shot JSB
Jumbos very well. Groups tightend up after cleaning out the paint.
As the saying goes, no pain, no gain. Welcome to pumpers.

Respond to this message   
steve
(Login smong2000)
YC

what I've tried...so far

July 22 2007, 6:31 PM 

Thanks for all the thoughful replies.
Ramjets, Kodiaks, Crow Mags, Daisy pointed, Benjamin, Crosman tried
Barrel is recrowned, no paint unless it's deep.
Parallax corrected and OK on 2 scopes.
It acts like a 52/48 type mag springer when you don't hold consistently, Is that an issue with pumpers?

Respond to this message   

Ian E.
(Login xpos)
YFOT

Pumpers aren't hold sensitive.

July 22 2007, 8:56 PM 

They don't have recoil, so hold sensitivity shouldn't
be an issue. I think it's a pellet issue, try FTS's,
JSB's and CPL's. All these domes work well in my 2 Steroids
and L/E. Also, try all the diffrent pellets at lower pumps, 5-6.
My Steroids will spit out shot gun patterns with all pellets, 14 gr to
21 gr with more than 10 pumps. I don't even pump them more 8 pumps
now, plus it's a work out more than that.

Ian

Respond to this message   
MayberryDays
(Login MayberryDays)
YF

My 392 LE

July 22 2007, 8:58 PM 

Hi Steve,

Ramjets, Kodiaks, Crow Mags, Daisy pointed, Benjamin, Crosman tried....
Barrel is recrowned.

-----------------------------------

I've tried all of the above also and then some,

and seem to have the same problems that you have.

I have LE # 359 , it was modified by Skyler to

get more power with fewer pumps and 3 pumps

is plenty for backyard plinking and targets.

I bought a variety pellet pack from Straight Shooters

and found that the JSB exact Jumbo Express Pellets

give me the Best groupings with this gun.

I am also shooting at about 17 yards,

this gun goes about 490 fps at 3 pumps.

Beeman H&N Match pellets group well,

and the Plastic Nose Predators are about as

good as the Express pellets.

The problem is.... the Predators are a Bullseye

the Express is High and to the right.....

and the Match pellets are low of  point of aim,

with a flyaway now and then.

4 or 5 pumps changes everything, and

I'm about Scared to pump this thing past 6 pumps.

At 6 pumps I have had the Bolt to Blow back

on me a couple of times.

Guess I'll just spope it in on BullsEye with the Express

pellets , and use the Mil Dots to adjust for the others.

Crossman, ( any kind )  Daisy Match, and Ram Jet

pellets gave the worst results in this gun.  

One other Notable Good Mention, is the Stratton by JSB.

Keep Shootin' and let us know how it goes.

MayberryDays   

Respond to this message   
classicalgas
(Login clasicalgas)
YFOT

a quick fix for the loosy goosy bolt is to work some stiff grease

July 22 2007, 9:25 PM 

into the bolt bore.Beeman spring gell is clear,so it looks better(less messy) than velo tar,which may be too stiff)The real fix is a spring loaded ball in the bolt like the old ben/sher guns had.

Respond to this message   
steve
(Login crosseyed66)
YFOT

How would I put a spring ball in this like the old

July 22 2007, 10:27 PM 

Benji/sheridan? Can it be done without any machine work or is it a lost cause and just try stiff grease? TIA

Respond to this message   
classicalgas
(Login clasicalgas)
YFOT

try the stiff grease,see if that does the job...with care you could do

July 23 2007, 1:44 AM 

the ball with just a hand drill and vice.It would take some figuring to work out where the ball needed to go to stay put.(not drop into the cocking pin slot or bolt knob slot)the spring and ball crosman uses in the 1322 and 2240 pistol safety would probably work.Since shipping is the same no matter what you order,get a few extra balls and springs,maybe an extra bolt.Email them,they'll send you the parts diagrams,you need part #'s to order.

Respond to this message   

chevell
(Login chevell1322)
YF

It's not an issue

July 23 2007, 6:30 PM 

when you build a pumper right.I have found that a fairly firm grip with some follow through helps with pumpers. Follow through means, the gun is still on target after you pull the trigger.There is a fairly long lock time with these knock open valves so the follow through really helps. But for 100 bucks what can we expect?

This message has been edited by chevell1322 on Jul 23, 2007 6:33 PM

Respond to this message   

chevell
(Login chevell1322)
YF

Re: Steroid Benjamin 392, how to shoot it? (accurately)

July 23 2007, 11:35 AM 

They hardly ever seem to shoot perfect,many variables with those guns. Mine shoots 1" groups at 20 yards with peep sites so hard to tell how accurate it really is. Too much flexing with a benji to be really accurate I think.

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login smong2000)
YC

I think I've got it!!!!

July 23 2007, 8:27 PM 

Well guys it was a paint in the barrel problem after all. I couldn't see it until I swabbed out the muzzle but sure enough there was big wedge of paint in the bottom 1/2 of the bore. I got it out with judicious use of paint remover (metal safe) and now she's drilling 'em right in there. Kind of fussy, 7-8 pumps and she loves Daisy Quicksilver Pointed, dime size 17 yds. 4-5 pumps and Benjamin domes do dimes or better. Haven't worked up my arms enough to experiment with higher pressures and didn't run it over the chrony yet, but it does what I would expect now. This one hates all the expensive Beemans that my Talon loved.

Respond to this message   
classicalgas
(Login clasicalgas)
YFOT

hey,congrats on finding the problem! Keep trying pellets,get the bore well broken in...

July 24 2007, 12:38 AM 

some benjis are tackdrivers...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.