<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gaylord owns-up!

October 18 2007 at 3:40 PM

FN19  (Login FN19)
YF

Many were pretty sure they knew who B.B. Pelletier actually was, but now the question is answered. Mr. Gaylord has admitted ownership of his pen name, "B.B. Pelletier".

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Roland Cannon
(Login rcannon409)
YC

Is'nt that cute...

October 18 2007, 3:43 PM 

That sure beat....something else....

This message has been edited by rcannon409 on Oct 18, 2007 6:57 PM

Respond to this message   
Jim
(Login jimjambo)
YF

Shocking!! Stop the presses.....nt

October 18 2007, 3:48 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

(Login kujitsu)
YFOT

2 questions

October 18 2007, 4:05 PM 

=
"In three years and eight months of blogging five days a week, we have had only one attack, and that was shut down very quickly."
=
wasnt that the whole airforce thing?

=
"having once operated the largest and most active airgun forum in the world."
=
anyone know what forum that was?

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
In San Antonio/Bexar area? email me! no one here likes bb guns...
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)
YC

That was the Airgun Letter Forum.....

October 18 2007, 4:11 PM 

Old timers will remember it. Lots of good stuff on it then.....
Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login julienko3)
YC

Explain?

October 18 2007, 4:22 PM 

Could anyone explain what this whole Tom Gaylord thing is about? I've been hearing talk about it for some time.

Respond to this message   
airbuff
(Login airbuff)
YC

Jojo, The Airgun Letter Forum (AGLF)

October 18 2007, 4:24 PM 

Tom and Edith Gaylord ran it along with printing the monthly Airgun Letter
It ran from about Oct. 96 to about 2000.
It went black one day and James Kitching instantly rescued us and gave us this place.
When James died suddenly, the Heroic Steve in CT took this over.

Thats the Readers Digest version. My dates may be a bit off.

Rob Prosio

This message has been edited by airbuff on Oct 18, 2007 4:26 PM

Respond to this message   
piper
(Login Bps1)
YF

no comment...(nt)

October 18 2007, 6:29 PM 

nt

This message has been edited by Bps1 on Oct 18, 2007 6:31 PM
This message has been edited by Bps1 on Oct 18, 2007 6:31 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login rcannon409)
YC

My Readers Digest Version....

October 18 2007, 6:35 PM 

Rod did a great job in telling his story.

Mine would be a little different.

In the early (???) years, Tom and his lovely wife, Beatrice (or whatever) did a great job of reporting about airgunning in the Airgun Letter. When the net opened up, they created a Forum. It was HUGE...especially for its time. Previous to their forum we only had a place called Shooters Guntalk. Shooters was down more often than it was up. A real joke .

Tom and Beatrice did a wonderful job of promoting the sport for years. Somewhere along the line they both dis-remembered (an LD'ism, as I recall) an important thing. As a reporter, you report. Your not the expert.

They were both run out of town on a rail..so to speak. The times were so crazy, both of them even had me in their sites. Beatrice threatened leagal action if I ever spoke of her...which is why I still refuse to use her correct name.

Its really sad to see a person with his experience needing to use a fake name.

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login JBoyenga)
YF

Really?

October 18 2007, 6:46 PM 

Somewhere along the line Tom clearly became an expert on airguns. Maybe reporting and testing as many as he has gave him a leg up on the whole "expert" thing.

Respond to this message   

(Login crosman140)
Chn

I disagree with a lot of what Roland said but then I count Tom a very close friend and

October 18 2007, 6:47 PM 

would defend him to the hilt if needed. I just want to let it be known there is another side of the story. Rather than get into a long post and argument that may be deleated I will have nothing else to say here.

I was tired now I am retired.

This message has been edited by crosman140 on Oct 18, 2007 8:06 PM
This message has been edited by crosman140 on Oct 18, 2007 6:51 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login rcannon409)
YC

Good, point, fixed previous message....

October 18 2007, 6:58 PM 

Never meant as an insult to Tom.....

Respond to this message   

(Login crosman140)
Chn

Thank you. Not everyone would make that change. nt

October 18 2007, 8:07 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
airbuff
(Login airbuff)
YC

Yes Roland, I well remember Shooters forum.

October 18 2007, 7:08 PM 

That was sponsored by Marlin, right? as part of the larger firearms forums.
I remember you there. I used to post as Rob P. during that time, because I have an incredible imagination .
Everybody was on those forums then.
I remember when AGLF started too. Alot o' warrin going on then

Rob Prosio

Respond to this message   

(Login rcannon409)
YC

Yes, that was something...

October 18 2007, 7:14 PM 

And please remember, that was a long time ago. We all grown up, learn more, and get smarter.

Remember when shooters would go down for "maintenance" and we might not see it again for 6 weeks???

Respond to this message   

jvc (echochap)
(Login echochap)
YF

I believe her name is Edith, and

October 18 2007, 8:07 PM 

has it really been a big secret that this is a nom de plume for Gaylord? I think that Tom does have a level of airgun expertise that has depth and great breadth. Besides the years experience of shooting and evaluating airguns, he was directly involved within the industry for years. There have been several great outdoors writers that have used pseudonyms over the years.

http://americanairgunhunter.com

Respond to this message   
Jim Bentley
(Login Jimb2)
YC

That is the way that...

October 18 2007, 8:47 PM 

I saw it go down too. A lot of good, very knowledgeable people were banned from their forum for calling them out on technical points and mis-information. Very sad.

Respond to this message   

(Login Chris__Colorado)
YFOT

Archive of The Airgun Letter Forum available here

October 18 2007, 4:28 PM 

is available at The Airgun Reference Library

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1175918158/

Respond to this message   

(Login T191032)

not a complaint, however

October 24 2007, 10:00 AM 

I tried to d/l this last night, just the 1.14GB part; went to bed about 1:30 this morning, and woke at 5:30 to feed the cat, had only worked up about .5% or so, estimated time for d/l was 2 days and change. I have a relatively slow comp, and I only have dial-up. Would make more sense to me if this information was burned on to a CD-Rom disk and had the ability to send it to people.

Respond to this message   

(Login Radom)
YC

Therefore..........

October 18 2007, 4:43 PM 

Sonnysan is actually Tom Gaylord!

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)
YFOT

Actually.

October 18 2007, 6:26 PM 

Tom Gaylord is Tom Gaylord.Tom has contributed a lot of information to the airgun community,Tom and Edith both deserve a round of applause.
Ejwills.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

Respond to this message   

(Login blackhunta)
YF

Are u sure?

October 18 2007, 6:56 PM 

Yesterday on this forum I saw a post linking me to this site that said it was a guy named sonnysam or somthing like that. I dont know what's true and what's not.

"If Butterflies had machine guns, Blackbirds wouldn't mess with them"

Got dat from my pops!

Respond to this message   

(Login eureeka)
YFOT

All I remember is somehow getting on an email list of some kind and then

October 18 2007, 9:27 PM 

the AGLF appeared.

The email list was da bomb. A total blast. The aglf had its moments and the story varies depending who you hear it from and how much that person was involved and really knows about airguns.

I use the word 'and' way too damn much.

Harv

Respond to this message   
Jon B.
(Login eeler1)
YF

Re: All I remember is somehow getting on an email list of some kind and then

October 18 2007, 11:54 PM 

My recollection is that Tom was a shill, Edith was a schoolmarm with a quick switch, and Roland Cannon behaved like he was on crack or some other drugs. I was just a newby, and didn't quite get the whole story most of the time. But it was a while back, so I can't be sure if my memory is accurate.

I do know that I enjoyed reading the Airgun Letter, as it was about the only airgun publication in the US at the time. And the forum was a great resource most of the time. And Edith ruled the forum in a benign way most of the time, but was inconsistent on who was a dealer and who wasn't.

Sorry, I'm starting to tear-up from the nostalgia.

Respond to this message   
Roland Cannon
(Login rcannon409)
YC

There is no dounbt about that!

October 19 2007, 7:37 AM 

My behavior, at times, was awful. I wont try and defend that. I could have acted in a more mature way, but did not.

The Internet was a fairly new thing at the time. I remember us having new people show up every day who just bought computers. Some of us went a little overboard, some of us behaved like one of the Nuns who could not wait to smack your hands with a ruler.

This message has been edited by rcannon409 on Oct 19, 2007 8:06 AM

Respond to this message   
Jon B.
(Login eeler1)
YF

Yeah, but always a good sense of humor

October 19 2007, 3:26 PM 

hope you kept that part.

Respond to this message   

(Login oldness)
YFOT

Tom Gaylord has been a gun writer, hunter, sports writer

October 19 2007, 6:21 AM 

for many magazines for many years and, contrary to some opinions has picked up quite a bit of useful knowledge over the years.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try a gun!

Respond to this message   

(Login big52)
YC

Re: Gaylord owns -up

October 19 2007, 6:59 AM 

I had wondered why the screen name and this answered it. You know I could be wrong but really over the years I have seen this sort of thing happen in life and if we all would stop for a minute to realize that we can all learn things from others that is to me what having a forum is all about.

Respond to this message   

(Login beammeupscotty2)
YF

Contrary to FN19s assertion, there was NO question in the minds...

October 19 2007, 10:30 AM 

of anyone who took the trouble to read what was posted under both names, and who had the wherewithal to recognize writing styles and patterns of work usage, or to read the posted profiles of the "two" writers. Only new airgunners, who are the target audience of Gaylord/Pelletier, were taken in by his ruse.

Gaylord uses the nom de plume to hide the fact that he is whoring for Pyramid Airguns. If you read the content posted under both names, you will find that Gaylord/Pelletier never met an airgun sold by Pyramid that wasn't GREAT. Gamos, GREAT! Umarex, GREAT! Air Force guns, REALLY SUPER GREAT! (oh yeah, he works for them too).

Charter member

Noisy Bridge

Rod & Gun Club

www.nocasa-ft.com

Respond to this message   

(Login T191032)

Remembering When stories

October 19 2007, 6:12 PM 

I quite enjoyed the "Remembering When" stories Mr. Gaylord was doing, but then stopped - both that and his blogspot, linked from his webpage. Guess this would give good reason why...

Respond to this message   

(Login rcannon409)
YC

The best ones he did....

October 19 2007, 6:28 PM 

Were in Airgun Review number 1. There were several where he would find an old picture..usually kids with Airguns......and just go off.

Personally, I always wanted a picture of his wife, Beatrice, shooting rats in her house with a Sheridan. never happened.

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)
YFOT

Edith!

October 21 2007, 5:37 PM 

Her name is Edith.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Gaylord owns-up!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.