<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Questions on the cleaning process...................

January 20 2008 at 7:07 PM
BIRDdropper  (Login BIRDdropper)
YF

Would someone be good enough to go over the proper cleaning process for an airgun??? I ordered a RWS cleaning kit from Pyramyd but want to make sure I am doing it correctly. It came with some Spring Cylinder Oil and I understand how to use that but it also came with some Air Chamber Lube and I'm not so sure about that. I'm shooting a RWS 320 (waiting on my R 9 Goldfinger to arrive) and want to make sure it is kept mechanically sound. I would like to hear what procedure you use to keep your equipment in top shape.

Thanks,
BIRDdropper

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Eric M
(Login ericinmich)
YFOT

Re: Questions on the cleaning process...................

January 20 2008, 7:40 PM 

In general, there isn't much cleaning to be done on airguns. You really want to avoid running a brush down the barrel - it's very soft metal in there and the lead pellets provide lubrication as needed for themselves. Only if the accuracy is way off and you can't figure out why is it okay to run a bore snake through the barrel. Again, DON'T use a brush - the barrels are totally different from conventional firearms in this way.

The main spring and inside of the air chamber are normally lubed for life - it'a a bad idea to add lube to them. I know this goes against the way you may think or what you may be used to with regular firearms, but airguns use special lubricants and don't need regular lubrication. In fact, be very careful because airguns have seals and other parts that may be damaged by certain types of lubricants. Having said that, it's a good idea to keep a light coating of oil on the outside of the gun to prevent rust. If you really want to be sure that your airgun is in it's best shape as far as lubricants go, I'd like to suggest that you send it away for a "lube tune" to a reputable tuner (several are around here). You will literally be amazed at how much smoother, quieter, and nicer it shoots overall - and then you'll be assured that it's properly lubricated for well over 1000 shots. Hope this is helpful...less is more with these guns!

Eric M

Respond to this message   
BIRDdropper
(Login BIRDdropper)
YF

Thanks Eric!!!!

January 21 2008, 11:22 AM 

Thanks Eric.....I appreciate the great info. This helped clear up some questions I had.

Thanks again,
BIRDdropper

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.