<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What .177 rifle has the highest FPS?

July 5 2008 at 12:30 AM
mexy  (Login amariross)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login sclemmons)
YC

Re: What .177 rifle has the highest FPS?

July 5 2008, 1:27 AM 

Seems like folks around here find a gun they like and adjust the pellet by weight to get the speed they want. Like buying a steak by thickness to cook it for the time you were going to cook it already.

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

My guess is the Sumatra Rifle shooting non lead sabots! nt

July 5 2008, 1:39 AM 

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Mexy, most of us here, I think, have very little interest in the highest

July 5 2008, 1:50 AM 

fps question from a practical point of view.
The problem is that the highest velocities are attained with the lightest pellets. The lightest pellets have never been shown to have practical accuracy at the highest attainable velocities. Therefore, regardless of how high a rifle may be able to shoot, knowledgeable shooters tend to find good heavier pellets that bring the velocity back down to about 900 fps or less. Two things are achieved; the energy and momentum of the pellet becomes greater and the accuracy and precision improve. There are sound reasons for this.

These lightest of pellets also have very poor ballistic coefficients and shed their velocity at a great rate. Thus by the time they have traveled sometimes as little as 20 metres, they have lost a lot of their energy and velocity and are already slower than a more appropriate pellet and have less energy for penetration and killing power in hunting. So discerning shooters stay away from very fast light pellets. Think of shooting tiny beads from a slingshot as against a better bigger stone; or throwing a tiny piece of gravel as compared to a baseball.

Unfortunately some of the air rifle manufacturers depend upon especially young and impressionable folk being turned on by claims of very high velocity for their rifles. What an experienced shooter tends to do is to decide what he wants the rifle for and then select, or seek advice about, the rifle and pellets that will meet his requirements.

If that explanation is of little value then all I can write is that there is no one particular rifle because many have the power to blast the lightest of pellets to highly inaccurate velocities for relatively short distances.... Kind regards, Harry in OZ.

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

heh heh, you said "practical" in an airgun forum

July 5 2008, 2:17 AM 

Heck, I recall a here guy spent tons a time trying to figger out how EXACKLY straight and far pellets would travel under WATER!

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Not done with TGAWWT yet either LD .. .....

July 5 2008, 2:28 AM 

Matter of fact I only said to Wendy a few days ago that now the water restrictions from our drought have been lifted a little I might set the tank up again ( or rather a new one ) as I have a couple of things to do .

Hey, I even think you may have been impressed by that tiny group shot at 43" underwater HEHE! ...... Kind regards, Harry.

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

yah ...Ever so practical!

July 5 2008, 2:42 AM 

today, I spent an hour firing my gun with a stethascope banded to the lower receiver while sliding a tuning weight around on the barrel. Nothing conclusive ... the gun was in a fair benchrest setup, firing over a chrono an making little groups at around 25yds.

Only practical thing was the confirmation that tho the sound changes near the end of the charge, the impact stays the same until velocity changes beyond predicted limits. I can hear this change well enough without the stethascope, and I never did figger out if I had the BEST spot for the tuner.

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Sometimes we just want the journey to not end ..............

July 5 2008, 2:50 AM 

When you get that 100 yard range functioning you will see POI changes sooner. Better tune that stethoscope too. Big revelations are at hand! ..... H.

Respond to this message   
Pedro
(Login pedroag)
YC

LOL. That last sentence is bound to be quoted again. n/t

July 5 2008, 2:24 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login vabch11)
YC

No need for speed

July 6 2008, 7:42 AM 

I have a rws model 34. I had it "de-tuned" and now it is out of this world for smoothness and accuracy.Cocking is much easier and all twang is gone. It was shooting way too fast, and now it shoots CP's at around 760 fps, which to me, seems what this rifle was really made for. I also had my 460 22. cal detuned and now it is a great gun that I can now shoot all day.

Dave@vabch

Respond to this message   
throggy
(Login throggy1)
YFOT

Re: What .177 rifle has the highest FPS?

July 5 2008, 6:20 AM 

Although I don't have a chrony I know that my 177 Condor is even shooting the heavy Eu Jin pellets above the speed of sound.

It even does so when powered by the Talon bottle that has a more restrictive valve.

Respond to this message   
F350bb
(Login F350bb)
YFOT

accuracy aside, I too would like to know

July 5 2008, 8:01 AM 

what the fastest fps an ag can do.

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

OK, then here is Steve NC's take on the maximum speed the air can reach...

July 5 2008, 8:40 AM 

... so discount that a little for the practical limits of a very light pellet and you have some kind of an answer.

Quote:
"Steve in NC
(Login pneuguy)
Correct about ~1650fps being the max theoretical velocity anywhere...
...in the gas flow path, but incorrect about it being possible for flow in the port to be faster than flow at the muzzle.

It's not possible - at least not in any practical sense.

That's because the only way velocity could be higher at the port than at the muzzle would be if the pressure at the muzzle were higher than at the port.

Pressure represents the potential energy of the gas, while velocity is kinetic energy. If the latter goes down, then the former must rise, and vice versa.

The law of conservation of energy makes it so.

Steve"..... End quote.

LD has stated that he has shot to approximately 1450 with the very light Hobby RWS pellet.......... Kind regards, Harry.

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)

Dup.

July 5 2008, 9:13 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login pneuguy)

Thanks for reposting that blurb of mine, Harry. A small point of clarification.

July 5 2008, 9:15 AM 

The ~1650fps theoretical limit specifically applies to unheated air. But not all "airguns" are charged with "air."

Different propellants may have different limits. For example, lower density gases like helium or the hot air of springers have a much higher limiting velocity: >4000fps.

Steve

To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.
SCOTUS Columbia v. Heller 6/26/08

Respond to this message   

(Login Mac-1)

Shoot modified pellets

July 5 2008, 12:54 PM 

You could drill the heads on 5 grainers and maybe get them down to 4 grainers. How about ignoring actual pellets and shoot Quick Cleaning wads.
If all you're interested in is generating Savage Data I think your questions will fall on deaf ears.
Marketing gets newbies wound up about speed but Velocity is just a Number. Energy is much more useful as you can compare different calibers for initial impact results.
Velocity is like Horsepower. It isn't nearly as important as tourque but it is what they sell cars on because newbies look in that direction.
Gamo knows this and prints data with 5 grain PBA pellets which is ridiculous for real shooting but gets the newby going with 1500+ FPS speeds.
Fact remains Airguns are subsonic beasts when working best and when trying to push the speed envelope the accuracy thing and the impact thing must be ignored to determine what is speedwise Best.
GET OVER IT! It doesn't matter. What works best is something around 925 with an occasional surprise that works in the transonic region above 1000 FPS. The rule is go Mach .82 or less and you'll get the best accuracy.
Speed is just mindless data meant to impress the neophyte that knows of nothing else to compare things by.

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim

Mac1 Airgun

Respond to this message   

(Login randyhub)
YFOT

Well I don't have a .177 but here is a sizzling 11.9 g .22 shot

July 5 2008, 7:08 PM 

Well was fooling around with my modified .22/.25 Condor PCP and here is a 11.9 grain .22 pellet fired from a 24 in barrel, 2600 psi fill, 90 gram custom brass hammer, polished inside frame, BUT remember much past 1000 fps a pellet is useless for accuracy.

Randy

[IMG][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

When I was foolin with the Career 707's

July 6 2008, 3:33 PM 

I could get a little more velocity from .22 than .177 guns. I never got over 1400fps from a .177, but that was a long time ago, and there are other pellets that could prolly do it nowadays.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - What .177 rifle has the highest FPS?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.