<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tuners are a senitive lot

October 13 2008 at 12:10 PM
Chris in norcal  (Login C.Shaf)
YC

I made an inquirey to a tuner who had tuned a gun for me in the past.
One of things he mentioned is how I complained about the gun not being as smooth as one I have from another tuner. And in reading the sites of other tuners and airun tune kit providers, I've come to this conclusion:
Tuners are a sensitive group of people.
"Why is this" I asked myself. Well, as a machinist for about thirty years I know the answer. I do take a great deal of pride in my work. Even if it's an order that I regret quoting I will still give my best effort to give my customer the greatest quality part I can. And most of time it is pretty darn good. And if a customer is not happy with my work I ask they send it back for me to fix to their satisfaction. This has happened once in ten years. So, even though being an airgun tuner is a high paying, glamourous job with tons of young beautiful groupies throwing themselves at the tuners feet, I'm very sure they take their job seriously and with a great deal of pride. And the tuner wants to make sure they give their customers a product that the tuner themselves would be proud to own.
So, back to my point, "tuners are a senitive lot." And I would not want it any other way. Because when it comes to my gun in their hands, it becomes their gun until it reaches my hands.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
chuck
(Login charlie9g)
YF

as far as smoothness, good tuners have a level playing field

October 13 2008, 1:41 PM 

much of the stuff they do, adjust the barrel lockup and whatever, are nice touches from guys with deep knowledge, not related to the firing cycle.
machining the guides and so forth, one will do as well as the next.
they aren't psychic and need to be told what you want. if they give you a velocity tune, it won't be as smooth as one shooting a bit slower. the key to smooth is to let them tune the guns to a power level they have been happy with in the past. a good example of this is my jan kraner tuned hw97 at 14 fpe. it's his field target tune. it could have been tuned to 12 fpe. with the weight of the gun, 14 is as far as you can go and be smooth, a small and manageable jolt and that's it. a lighter gun and likely it would be 13 fpe. the tuners know what they can do and where the gun should shoot...they do need to be directed that you want a smoothie.

comin' at you from the supply side

Respond to this message   
v.p.
(Login vinpach)
YC

Right on...

October 13 2008, 4:59 PM 

Consumers often expect high power/performance and unrealistic smoothness from a custom tune.v.p.

Respond to this message   

gregc107
(Login gregc107)
YFOT

Re: Right on...

October 13 2008, 6:40 PM 

Well don't you think they wouldn't expect that is the tune was explained? If a tuner tells a customer what he intends to do with a rifle and what the end result in performance will be like I doubt there would be the problem. You mentioned that some people have unrealistic expectations for a rifle tune, but if there is communication upfront I dont see how most won't know what to expect of a tune when it is complete.

It is what it is, because it is!!!

Respond to this message   
v.p.
(Login vinpach)
YC

Failure to communicate.....?

October 13 2008, 7:58 PM 

Perception is not always reality. Some times people are disappointed with the final product even when they are given all the facts before the tune work is done. You can never please all the people all the time........v.p.

This message has been edited by vinpach on Oct 13, 2008 8:12 PM

Respond to this message   

gregc107
(Login gregc107)
YFOT

Then maybe more explainin is needed b4 the job starts perhaps? <nt>

October 13 2008, 8:53 PM 

It is what it is, because it is!!!

Respond to this message   
The Verminator
(Login TheVerminator)
YC

the trouble with words...

October 14 2008, 2:42 PM 

Sometimes the more you say the less is understood!! Unfortunately, to paraphrase Aristotle, the fundamental difficulty in human communication is the lack of a standardized terminology....
What is "smooth" to me may not be "smooth" to you....at least that's what my girl tells me!! LMAO! Shane

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister)
YF

Actually, You're Mostly Right

October 14 2008, 7:48 PM 

As far as airgun tuning being a lot easier from the seat in the back there, where you are.

I'm outta here---Happy Shooting!

Ed

The Airgun Tune-Meister
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ekreally/myhomepage/business.html

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

This message has been edited by ekmeister on Oct 14, 2008 7:59 PM

Respond to this message   

bbgunbob
(Login bbgunbob)
YF

MAN! What you been smoking???

October 13 2008, 2:53 PM 

Quote "So, even though being an airgun tuner is a high paying, glamourous job with tons of young beautiful groupies throwing themselves at the tuners feet,"

Chris,
All the tuners I have ever came across are more than fair with there prices,and as far as air gunners go I have yet to see a crossdressing
BB gun nut who spends money with a tuner.So the groupies are out of the picture.
But one thing I know for sure you will ruffle a lot of feathers here on the Yellow and maybe the next time your gun goes to a tuner...No!I won't go there!

Good Luck!!! You may need it.

BBGun Bob
SE Mich

Darth Vader Called !! I joined the Darkside!!
.22 Disco

Respond to this message   

Birdo
(Login jaybirdo)
YC

Apparently you've never been to an airgun tuner convention in Vegas

October 13 2008, 3:19 PM 

Don't go if they schedule one for San Fran or New Orleans.

FX Cyclone, Talon SS, Crosman 2250 & 2300S, Beeman R9

Respond to this message   

Wobbles
(Login WobblesAlot)
YF

I feel certain that this

October 13 2008, 4:55 PM 

Quote "So, even though being an airgun tuner is a high paying, glamourous job with tons of young beautiful groupies throwing themselves at the tuners feet," was an attempt at humor. Nothing else. I know I never took it as a serious comment. Pretty sure the OP knows exactly how far that statement is from the truth.

Respond to this message   

CrPellet
(Login CrPellet)
YF

Psssst....

October 13 2008, 6:09 PM 

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login talon24)
YF

i tend to agree , thanks

October 13 2008, 3:04 PM 

I have had two done without problems but over the last few years I spoke to a couple of others and gee did I get tired of hearing about all the difficulties,conditions,customers wrong expectations and on and on and on . I am sure they run in to a few real PIA customers but I do wish that they would tone it down a bit, I simply lost interest after being subjected to some of that . No need to go into name calling.

Respond to this message   

Adam SoCal
(Login shootistinsocal)
CL

Being "Sensitive" is a symptom the real "Disease" is

October 13 2008, 3:26 PM 

the weird difficult people they deal with. All the incessant whining, looking for a freebie and trying to get out of paying for services rendered results in Tuners with a "Last Nerve Syndrome".

And very often some people just seem to get on their last nerve......LOL

I know one tuner who spent a couple hours on the phone with a guy about buying a gun and having some work done. Then the next day the customer decided he did not want to wait so he bought it from another vendor.

So I can understand why their last nerve is so sensitive...lol

Adam in SoCal
AKA WalkOnKing
www.talonairgun.com

"Those who have no sense of humor run the risk of having jokes made at their expense"

Respond to this message   

Birdo
(Login jaybirdo)
YC

The problem with life is the other people

October 13 2008, 3:38 PM 

I guess that is a bit philosophical for a Monday. Consumer products and services are always the worst areas for dealing with other people.

FX Cyclone, Talon SS, Crosman 2250 & 2300S, Beeman R9

Respond to this message   

eric
(Login justjohnny)
YC

ditto that nt

October 13 2008, 3:55 PM 

Respond to this message   

Mr. TX200
(Login LuvmyTX)
YF

Just be glad your not left handed

October 13 2008, 5:27 PM 

"Cut Off"

"No springs for you"

Respond to this message   
TC
(Login tlando)
YF

"No Springs For You!"

October 13 2008, 5:40 PM 

nt

This message has been edited by tlando on Oct 15, 2008 12:21 PM

Respond to this message   
RossB
(Login RossB)
YF

Information

October 13 2008, 7:29 PM 

Do not inform the world/forum members that it is possible to buy certain secret grease/tar lubricant products at reasonable prices from local construction equipment lubrication suppliers/sources.
The gurus who sell specialty airgun lubricants for exhorbitant prices in small quantities may cut you off from all future communication.
Been there.

Respond to this message   

Butcher
(Login Butcherr)
YF

and certainly don't tell people....

October 13 2008, 9:14 PM 

where to buy the EXACT SAME bigbore slugs for 1/5 the price some "specialty" casters sell them for (making bigbore airgunning as expensive, if not MORE expensive than shooting a centerfire). That is a big no-no as well.

Yea I said it.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.