<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Info on a BSF Model S20 Air Pistol

November 14 2008 at 1:46 PM

Brad Troyer  (Login bradtroyer)
YFOT

Anyone have any information on an old BSF Model S20 air pistol? Any idea of what they are worth?

Brad Troyer,
brad@airguns.net
www.airguns.net

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login alb77)
YC

value BSF S 20

November 14 2008, 1:53 PM 

between $100. and $150.

This message has been edited by alb77 on Nov 14, 2008 1:54 PM

Respond to this message   
Bob in OH
(Login bobmor)
YC

BSF S20

November 14 2008, 3:59 PM 

There are two basic versions of this gun, standard and match. The match has a nice thumbrest style grip and fully adjustable rear sight on a receiver extension while the standard makes two with a plain old style Diana 5/slavia ZVP styled grip and elevation only adjustable rear sight mounted above the cylinder. I believe the grips were usually walnut on both models. These guns were also distributed by Wischo and are frequently found so marked. The guns are basic barrel cockers of good quality with nice tapered barrels and decent adjustable triggers. They were known for their power which was advertised at about 470fps in .177 (pretty high for the time). I have both versions of the gun. A Wischo marked S20M in very nice shape but showing patina was bought at an airgun show from someone who knew it's worth for $125. A standard model in really nice shape was bought at a gun show from a non-airgun type for $40 (worth probably twice that). Of course condition is everything, a near new, boxed, Wischo Custom Match version was recently offered here for I believe $400. The S20M is my favorite plinking pistol though it is certainly accurate enough for some serious target shooting.

Respond to this message   
EdS
(Login cthulu)
YC

S20 trigger

November 14 2008, 5:51 PM 

I just picked one of these BSF pistols up, in real nice shape and I paid $200. Stock is beautiful. The trigger pull seems kind of long, any tips on tuning or adjusting these triggers? Looking at the set up without taking it apart its almost like a bullpup design with the trigger so far forward on the reciever tube.

Respond to this message   
Bob in OH
(Login bobmor)
YC

Long trigger

November 14 2008, 6:18 PM 

Not sure if you mean the first stage is too long or if your'e talking about creep. Don't think you can do much about the former without doing some modifications. As far as the latter I can only suggest disassembling, cleaning, and giving all of the mating surfaces a good polish. I have found with BSF triggers that they seem to have a very narrow "sweet spot" in the trigger adjustment range and it can take some fidling to get a decent and still safe pull. I like to whack the bejesus out of the gun with a rubber mallet to make sure I can't get it to discharge after adjustment.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

Third S20 variant and details

November 15 2008, 12:30 PM 

You see quite a few S20's that combine the sporter-style grip/frame with the target-style sight, like this:

[linked image]

This was often called the "S20M" or "S20 Match," while the final version with the thumbrest grip was the "Custom Match." I kinda like this version, as the thumbrest grip was definitely NOT designed for MY thumb...

Note how the adjustable rear sight is mounted in an extension "plug" at the rear of the cylinder. The S20 sporter had a simple sight in a transverse dovetail cut directly into the top of the receiver, and a thin flat cap at the rear of the receiver tube. The S20 shared its basic action with a junior rifle, so the trigger is an odd "bullpup" design, located much farther forward than the rifle trigger. The rear sight location affects how the trigger adjustment works.

On the normal sporter version, the trigger adjuster screw is in the rear breech face, facing forward, and acts directly on the sear engagement. On an S20 with the match sight, the adjuster is a long pointy job underneath the rear of the receiver, and works at an odd angle against a separate rod that contacts the sear. You can see this thing just above the wood in this pic:

[linked image]

Anyway...I have found it quite difficult to get a good crisp trigger setting with this arrangement. To me the basic sporter is better in this regard.

(FWIW, the three mainsprings in the pic, from bottom to top, are for the S20, an old Webley, and a P1. The S20's is quite short, but uses much heavier wire than the others. Beware the BSF is rather tricky to dismantle and re-assemble.)

Respond to this message   
Bob in OH
(Login bobmor)
YC

Thanks for the info...

November 15 2008, 5:22 PM 

I always thought "custom match" was just an ARH designation for their version with the sight hood added. Never saw a plain grip/match sight version like yours. And your right, that thumb rest looks good but sticks your thumb up at an odd angle.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

S20 designations

November 17 2008, 1:05 PM 

Bob, you may well be right! I should have mentioned that my conclusions on the "Match" vs. "Custom Match" designations are my guesstimates only.

The sight hood is a nice thing to have! The S20 is hard to cock and you and nick yourself on that pointy front sight if you aren't careful.

BTW I never really answered Brad's original question about the cost of these. I agree with the numbers previously given, S20's normally fall around $100 to $150 for run-of-the-mill examples, $200 or more for a nice boxed Custom Match. The gun in my pics was bought for $100 in Roanoke a couple years ago, which was a bargain I thought.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Info on a BSF Model S20 Air Pistol
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.