<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rob Hawkins R7 tune review *PICS*

May 24 2009 at 9:01 PM
  (Login gks3)
YFOT

I have had this rifle for several years 11/2005. It was my FIRST rifle so I am spoiled no doubt. This rifle shot a 5 shot group at 70yds that measured .93ctc so I was not expecting an improvement in accuracy. I have over 6500rds through this rifle so to say I know this rifle is an understatement.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

R7 was tuned by rob with maccari spring and guide. He replaced the breach and piston seal and smoothed out the internals of the receiver. Come to find out that the 4 pistons seals I ordered from beeman where R9 seals (reason for the tune, I could not diagnose why my R7 was shooting slower and slower).very angry at beeman to say the least.
The tune was his full tune;
http://www.springguntunes.com/TuningOptions.htm

The rifle cocked very smooth before. Was very accurate before. Had almost no recoil before (maccari inards). Had a great trigger before as well. Basically, I wanted him to fix the issue that I could not. Keep in mind that the R7 has been questioned by many if its even worth tuningits that smooth and good as is.

Wind was about 5-7mph with 10mpg gusts with plenty of L to R snaking. I did not wait for the wind to stay consistent. I doped the wind and shot. wind from left to right means pellet will go right and up. Right to left means pellet goes left and down etc. Each target was 5 shots at 50yds.
Anyways, I have only about 100rds through this rifle before this shoot. The SD I am sure will improve. The trigger is a bit better than I remember it. Cocking it is a tad smoother. The firing cycle is equal if not a hair better.
Again, this is a rifle that is very hard to improve upon and Rob did just that.

Verdict, I would and will do business with rob again and would refer him to anyone looking to get there rifle tuned.
He, in my mind sets the standard for keeping one informed as well. He told me when he rcvd the rifle, what his diagnosis was, when he ordered parts, rcvd them, installed them and when the rifle was shipped. Turn around time was about 3 weeks from when rifle was shipped to when it was rcvd (this will vary due to his work load).
5 out of 5 stars for rob Hawkins. I can NOT think of one single compliant other than why my trigger does not feel like my IZZY 46M trigger ;?) (I would put that trigger in all of my rifles if it was possible).
Thanks Rob. The pleasure was all mine doing business with you and I will recommend you to others in the future with out hesitation.

greg in WA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login RWS460Shooter)
YC

Thanks for the flowers Greg.

May 24 2009, 9:08 PM 

Glad you like it. If you have any problems or questions, let me know.
Rob

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login nov3tiger1)

Rob Hawkins R7 tune review *PICS*

May 24 2009, 9:29 PM 

A .93 group at 70 yards with a R7; sure you did!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login WobblesAlot)
YFOT

Not being

May 24 2009, 11:17 PM 

that good a shot, I doubt I could shoot that small a group with any air rifle at 70 yards although my Swift has done quite a bit less than that at 100 yards off a bench. Sure wouldn't be willing to call anyone else a liar if they claimed to have done so. I think the R7 has the accuracy. It just needs a calm wind-free day.

We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business? - Will Rogers

Respond to this message   
Greg S
(Login gks3)
YFOT

R7 at 70yd post.

May 25 2009, 9:45 AM 

Bob, .93"ctc is my trophy group. I have not beat that since I shot it and that was in august of 06. Weather was near perfect as well. It was most likely just luck.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1167799795/Looking+for+best+springer+groups+40-60yds+or+beyond

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1156155934/R7+%4070yds.+Weighed+vs+unweighed+pellets.+*PICS*

M'hacket...no drooper mounts. With the 4-12banner on 12X, it was at full elevation and barely mad it out there. My R7 was shooting hot then (642fps). I now have the legend 5-15X and have to use mildots to be on target.

greg in WA

Respond to this message   

(Login nov3tiger1)

Hey Greg, I was just kidding around. I didn't mean to

May 25 2009, 5:11 PM 

ruffle any feathers. You shoot some very fine groups.

Respond to this message   

(Login Martineer)
YC

He did my R-9 .177 and getting ready to do my R-9 .20

May 24 2009, 9:32 PM 

I agree with everything you said about Rob and his work. My turn around time was 6 days, including the shipping, but then, I only live about 250 miles from him. Within 1/2 hour of receiving my gun, he called me and told that he had already shot and chronied the gun. He told me what he expected to find. He was right on with his diagnosis. He was constantly sending me pictures, emails, etc to keep me informed of his progress. Once he finishes my R-9 .20, he is going to get my R-11. The R-9 .177 now has about 200 pellets through it and the groups are getting tighter. When I hit 500 pellets, I will do some chrony testing of my own to see where she is at. The days of 3 months to a year of waiting for a gun to be tuned are gone. Even if he is backed up, he will put you on the list and let you keep your gun until he is ready to work it. Can't ask for much more than that. I wish Rob all the success in the world, and he definitely has all of my business.

Respond to this message   

M'hackett
(Login 22MK1)
YFOT

What kind of drooper mounts are you using?

May 24 2009, 9:41 PM 

I see you have two piece mounts. How are you getting out to 70 yards with R-7 and stil having any elevation left on the scope?
I have a BKL 460 D 7 on mine but still run out of vertical clicks on my 3-9 Sportview much past 50 yards.

Respond to this message   

(Login WobblesAlot)
YFOT

Maybe he wasn't

May 24 2009, 11:10 PM 

trying to hit the bull at that range. Only shoot for groups. When I tried mine at 50 yards, I didn't worry about being dead on. Actually prefer not to be when shooting for group size. Prefer not to blow out my aiming point.

We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and then tax it out of business? - Will Rogers

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Thanks for the feedback, was planning on sending

May 24 2009, 10:11 PM 

a springer to Rob in the very near future!

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   

(Login Martineer)
YC

Tony, I guarantee you

May 25 2009, 7:54 AM 

that you can't go wrong, nor will you be displeased, with letting Rob work on one of your guns. Also, you WILL get it back in a very reasonable time. No getting lost in TUNERS NEVER NEVER LAND with Rob doing your work. I can't say enough about the quality of his work and how he treats his customers. Never loose that, Rob, it sets you apart from the others.

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Nice report.

May 24 2009, 11:38 PM 

And a nice rifle as well.

Pleased to see multiple 5-shot groups and that's exceptionally good springer shooting. Any time the groups in 1/10 inch (.50 at 50yards, .2 at 20yards, or .80 at 80yards) are smaller than the yardage, it and you are doing great.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Rob Hawkins R7 tune review *PICS*
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.