<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FWB 300 and Walther LGR arrived this week - some questions

November 17 2009 at 5:48 PM

(Login SDplinker)
YF12

Hi everybody...acquired some match rifles I posted about a while back - they finally arrived. I picked up a used FWB 300 and a Walther LGR. I ran them through the chrony for the first time today and I'm getting the following averages over a 10 shot string (used 7.9g CP Lites):

FWB 300 - averaged 548 fps
Walther LGR - average 441 fps

For those that own or have owned them please let me know if these seem to be in the acceptable range or not. The 'blue' seal on the FWB does look a bit dated and dry so perhaps the spring is a bit tired too? Not sure what to check for on the LGR since it's an SSP.

If I decide to put them up for sale I just want to be accurate and fair in my descriptions with regard to shooting specs. I'm also going to run them over another chrony because mine can be a bit flaky at times.

Thanks,

Casey

some pics below - loving my first 10m rifles!:

FWB 300

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Walther LGR

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by SDplinker on Nov 17, 2009 7:07 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dalgard)
YF

Walther LGR

November 17 2009, 6:47 PM 

Casey,

The FPS of your Walther LGR seems quite low. Mine gives an average of 592 fps with an 8.9 grain pellet. This speed had been cross-checked using two chronographs, so I'm pretty sure it is accurate. Used at the same time, they are within 1 fps.

You might want to recheck your chrony and be sure that you are pulling the charging lever all the way back. I've noticed that if you do not, you will get low velocities. If it's not that, it may be time for a reseal.

Enjoy the rifle. Are you going to use it for 10 meter or something longer? I know it's a sacrilige(sp), but I have a scope on mine and shoot mini sniping with it (9 mm brass at 35 yards). It's surprisingly accurate at that range with the right pellets (20/25 hits on targets that measure 3/8" wide by 3/4" high).

Have fun.

Abe

Respond to this message   

(Login SDplinker)
YF12

Thanks Abe ...

November 17 2009, 6:50 PM 

I'm going to double-check on a friend's chrony just to make sure...but yeah, thought it was low too. I'll try your cocking arm idea and report back. Thanks!

I'll probably use it for some fun 10m and longer ... I have no designs on being a 10m competitor - just shooting for fun.

Respond to this message   
itetcboo
(Login itetcboo)
YFOT

FWB 300 velocity...

November 17 2009, 7:08 PM 

FWIW I have a 1989ish vintage FWB300S mini that shoots 589 with JSB 8.4's. I do not know what it does with other pellets though but a lighter pellet I know would be over 600. As far as I know this isn't mega hot for a 300 series rifle but maybe a touch hot but close to average. I do not know if mine has been rebuilt but it does have the blue breach seal.

Respond to this message   

(Login LARRYPIRRONE)
YC

mine was doing 610 with the stock springs and blue seal

November 17 2009, 7:25 PM 

and i put in a maccari kit and seal and it is doing 630. this is with jsb 7.9.
its about 645 with meisterkrugeln 7.0

Respond to this message   

(Login FourRings)
YC

My LGRs shoot 530-40, my 300Ss shoot 600-10: all with H&N Matches

November 17 2009, 7:11 PM 

The LGRs have not, to my knowledge, been resealed. The 300Ss have both been rebuilt with factory springs and seals. Another factor is that I live at 5300'.

Great looking rifles!

Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login SDplinker)
YF12

Based on responses so far...

November 17 2009, 8:02 PM 

It sounds like I've been sold some rifles in need of a bit of work! I found several tutorials on breaking down the FWB 300 - while there are a fair number of parts involved I've done about 5 springers in the past so I'm fairly comfortable...and the parts are pretty cheap.

The Maccari kit looks pretty good for this purpose... any comments on that?

As for the LGR where should I start with regard to checking for problems? Looks like some pretty accessible seals on the flip up loading block.

Thanks everybody!

Respond to this message   

Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YFOT

Maccari kit ... OK the 300S I bought for long range experiments

November 17 2009, 10:17 PM 

had this installed and shoots 8.4 gr JSB 4.52 mm head size Exacts at 670 fps at sea level and 650 at my farm's altitude.

You may have to wait a few seconds for the target pics to come up, but this is what is possible with the set-up out of doors in very good conditions with the pellets described.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1238552640/Long+range+with+FWB+300+S+10+m++rifle+and+silhouette+targets-++A+number+of+pics-

50 yard groups have been shot as small as 0.25 inch and numerous groups of .50 inch and better.

Note that some wadcutter pellets, R 10 to name one, are also very accurate but because of their low BC will not hold up to the above precision at longer range.

Kind regards, Harry in OZ.

Respond to this message   

(Login Storz)
YC

Beautiful

November 17 2009, 8:19 PM 

Both of them, one of these days I will own a classic 10m rifle!

Respond to this message   

(Login jjrose9)
YC

My 300 FWB shot only 450's before I oiled it, then

November 18 2009, 9:42 PM 

I used Beeman chamber and spring oil. With H&N target pellets it went up to the 530's. Spring must be getting weak from what others have posted?

Respond to this message   
hawley
(Login HTD)
YF

Issue is how do they shoot

November 18 2009, 10:14 PM 

Unless you bought them to compete, my question is how do they shoot for you? I have noticed that folks get all caught up in chrony info. I gave mine (had 2 at different times) away because for me the test of a rifle was how well I could shoot it. Did it perform well in my hands and did it do what i wanted it to do? If the answer to both was yes it was a keeper and I didn't fool with it. My tests for rifles were always very simple. Shoot and then see how they do in my hands. Others might get great groups but if I didn't it was not a keeper. Others might find a particular rifle terrible but if it worked for me it was golden. Optimal performance may not equate into optimal use in your hands. I "ruined" many a good rifle trying to make it better when it was already better than I could shoot. Just another perspective.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - FWB 300 and Walther LGR arrived this week - some questions
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.