<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

USPS Shipping

December 6 2009 at 7:24 PM
  (Login COSteve)
YF

People here are always speaking of shipping airguns Priority Mail. I went to the USPS site and found this under the restricted items list:

431.1 Firearm

A firearm is defined as any device (including a starter gun) that is designed, or may readily be converted, to expel a projectile by an explosion, a spring, or other mechanical action, or by air or gas pressure with sufficient force to be used as a weapon.

So I guess this is subject to interpretation as to if a .177 8gr projectile traveling 800fps is a weapon or not. What am I missing?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login AngliaUSA)
YF

Airguns are not considered FIREARMS (yet)

December 6 2009, 7:59 PM 

Just list it as a sporting goods or an industrial paper punch - wink.gif
Or just tell them it's a really expensive and valuable BB gun - you won't have any problems.

Respond to this message   

(Login 157bradley)
YC

Hmmmmm.......never knew about this. I ship 3 or 4 a week.

December 6 2009, 7:59 PM 

I have shipped over 300 guns (both powder and air) in the last couple of years. I am an FFL firearms dealer.........with a real love of airguns. My business is entirely internet based. My local Post Master has a copy of my FFL on file at the branch I use. They know my wife and children by name there (she does all my shipping)and a few of them have even bought guns from me. Perhaps since they have my FFL on file it makes it OK?? They know exactly what I am shipping. Hmmmmmm......

Respond to this message   

(Login COSteve)
YF

Dealers can ship firearms

December 6 2009, 8:03 PM 

through the USPS to other dealers. I know that airguns aren't considered firearms in most legal situations but this definition seems to bring the USPS's view into question.

Respond to this message   

(Login bubbanutha)

I have no trouble shipping...

December 6 2009, 8:03 PM 

pneumatic tools and parts.

Respond to this message   

(Login wdiaz)
YFOT

No problem with mailing airguns with the USPS...

December 6 2009, 8:04 PM 

as long as they are air RIFLES, air pistols, however, can not be mailed at all through the USPS.

Walter

Respond to this message   

(Login VPilot)
YFOT

I believe if you keep reading the USPS regs you'll find they ALLOW shipping of long guns..

December 6 2009, 8:54 PM 

but prohibit handguns except between dealers. They do indeed classify airguns as firearms under their provisions, which is why I've said repeatedly that it is risky business to ship air pistols via USPS.

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

Tim
VPilot

Respond to this message   

(Login COSteve)
YF

You are correct

December 6 2009, 10:36 PM 

with regard to long guns. I'm familiar with the rules for "real" firearms, what surprised me is that even though in most law airguns are not considered firearms the PO seems to follow its own rules and does treat them the same, ie only dealer to dealer on pistols, rifles ok.

Respond to this message   

(Login reschlund)
YF

I just sent one Fed-Ex

December 6 2009, 9:21 PM 

On the box I pasted stickers that said (Pneumatic Paper Punch) in large red type. "DO Not Crush"

Insured for $800.

Works for me shipped more than 15 this way no problems!!

BBGun Bob
Detriot

Air Guns Create Questions????
Together we can write the answers!!

Respond to this message   
boo
(Login boohoo9)
YC

yes no yes no

December 6 2009, 9:58 PM 

I have seen this batted back and forth many times.
A few months back, I went to my local PO and ask about shipping air guns.
The man behind the counter to me, yes but, they have to go through a FFD.
Others have been told the opposite.
Go figure.

Respond to this message   

Ian
(Login xposo)
YFOT

Not ALL postal workers know the regs

December 7 2009, 12:18 AM 

I've been shipping priority mail at my local USPS for several years and all they ask is, "is there anything liquid, hazardous, perishable, or dangerous inside?" Those are the ones that are the newbies there. (turn over is high) The regulars know that I ship airguns and only say, "fixing or selling?" So obviuosly they all don't know the rules and regulations, or just don't care. Also, doing your shipping and printing of the mailing labels online helps out big time, they don't question you about the ones that you made yourself. They're just happy not having to deal with you, you're one less customer. All you do with those is just drop them off.

"Every gun makes it's own tune"

Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Respond to this message   
Randy
(Login big52)
YC

Shipping through USPS

December 7 2009, 10:51 PM 

I have run into the same thing, I sent a airgun via USPS but figured I better ask the person at the counter first, they told me it was fine. I shipped a gun ounce through UPS and they got much more excited when I told them it was a airun. The lady at the front desk made me aware that they would open the box and check to make shure. So this made me more afraid to tell the truth about what is in a box when I am shipping a airgun, even if it is for a repair and is going to come back to me.

Respond to this message   

(Login COSteve)
YF

I called

December 7 2009, 11:12 PM 

UPS and Fedex today. Both said in the US airguns were fine to ship. UPS said they wouldn't do it international, Fedex said they would but the person I talked to didn't give me a good feeling that they knew the rules at all.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - USPS Shipping
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.