<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Early Career 707 repairs needed

January 4 2010 at 9:10 PM
  (Login frogmann)
YF

Hello. I haven't posted here in quite awhile. I was one of the original members back when Tom and Edith ran the Airgun Letter forum (or was it just "Airgun forum?) and due to a lack of good judgment, I fell away from all things airgun. Actually, I just got too busy. Well, Now I find that I have (some) time again to enjoy this great sport. While bringing the old 707 out of retirement, last put away with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 psi, I found it at 0 psi. So I started putting air in and found out that it would not build pressure. I bought this gun back when it was advocated to use FP-10 as a pellet lube, only to read some years later that FP-10 may/could cause seals to fail. Well, now I want to get the old girl back in condition. Who is the goto guy out there now? As a side note, I was wondering if the old theory of "swelling" engine seals by adding trans fluid to the crankcase might be an option. Of coarse, I wouldn't try any such thing without researching it first. I just want to be able to shoot it again.
Thanks.
Frogmann

I assure you, if I had a feminine side, I'd be touching it all of the time!

<")}}}}><

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
RayT
(Login hogstir)
YC

Check with Tim at MAC1 airguns

January 4 2010, 9:32 PM 

I know he has been resealing careers

Respond to this message   

(Login kyairgunner)
YF

January 4 2010, 9:32 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login kyairgunner)
YF

Never add a petrolem oil to a pcp. Will cause a explosion.

January 4 2010, 9:33 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Hate getting old..

January 4 2010, 9:35 PM 

Have a note about John Burroughs and a phone number...but haven't a clue if he's still around and I won't give out phone numbers on-line (Google: John Burroughs Shin Sung Airguns).

MAC1 use to have parts... pretty sure he doesn't now, but I may be wrong... he could fix it, but if he has to make or scrounge parts, may be awhile.

try this:

Dry fire it a few times, leave the gun cocked (striker weight off the valve stem), and try again.

If the valve stem is the leak, then with the bolt closed, it would leak out the muzzle... a toy balloon taped tightly there should give you a clue as you pump. If that isn't the leak, then it could be a simple o-ring at the tube end (or the o-ring sealing the valve to the tube...but lets hope not as that takes a full take down to get to).

If you had the ability to bulkfill co2, could give it a blast of co2 (again, cocked to keep the striker off the valve stem) and see if a sudden hit of reasonably high pressure closes it up. Even if it doesn't, would take 800psi of co2 long enough to leak out that you could locate the leak.

Respond to this message   

(Login frogmann)
YF

John Burroughs! Thanks for mentioning him.

January 4 2010, 11:46 PM 

That's the guy that I dealt with years ago, out of CA. I think. I don't know if he is still around though. My Career was the early type, only 3 power settings and one type of pellet feed(heavy Korean). John sold me a multi-pellet adapter and detailed instructions for the installation and adjustment. He told me about the chop-sticks trick for some procedure(I forgot what it was, but it was a common answer/tool to a common question or modification at the time, maybe it was just a good way to perform one part of the disassembly)and how to modify the power wheel myself with a Dremel tool. He even threw in extra charging hose seals for free! He was a great guy to deal with, I called him a couple of times to be sure to not screw things up. He was glad to talk me through a few questions. I will talk to all those mentioned here and make a decision on what to do. Thanks to all of you. As for "Never add a petroleum oil to a pcp. Will cause a explosion", I know that oil and oxygen don't mix but I thought that oil and air was fine. Most old pump up pneumatics had to have oil added to lube the seal. I know that there is a huge difference in respective pressures but the chemistry should be the same. Anyway I wasn't gonna try that, it was just a thought.

Frogmann

I assure you, if I had a feminine side, I'd be touching it all of the time!

<")}}}}><

Respond to this message   

(Login kyairgunner)
YF

Anthoney Storey should have parts or can rebuild it for you.

January 4 2010, 9:38 PM 

call him at 317-374-5679

Respond to this message   
Doug Owen
(Login DKOwen)
YC

Tim's da man....

January 4 2010, 10:00 PM 

He'll set you straight with better seals than factory, and anything else it needs.

FWIW, I bet the leak is at the manometer (pressure gauge), it's the typical failure point since there's a sliding seal in there (which Tim upgrades to a superior type). Otherwise, seals do get old. A new set will put you back in business.

I highly doubt the lube is what caused the leak, the bore is a long way from the high pressure gas. The only seal that it could have 'got to' is the bolt seal, and you're not able to get that far. I'm sure you know not to put oil into the fill port (not really all that easy on these guns), "Diver's grease" (silicone) is what you lube the fill probe rings with. It doesn't burn.

Welcome back, you've got some exciting catching up to do.

Doug Owen

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Definitely contact MAC1, Tim will sort it out - LINK

January 4 2010, 10:18 PM 

I know he used to do repairs and modification to the Careers(still listed on his website), be it upgrading o-rings, magazine shuttle modification to allow using a range of different pellets, power wheel mods for more adjustability, etc.:

http://www.mac1airgun.com/

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Early Career 707 repairs needed
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.