<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1988 RWS Diana 34

January 11 2010 at 9:21 AM
  (Login bigcanoe)
YF

I am looking at a 1988 built RWS Diana 34 on the classifieds. Has anything changed with these guns in the last 20 years? Any danger of the gun/seals being this old?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login C.A.P)

Re: 1988 RWS Diana 34

January 11 2010, 9:50 AM 

88 will have a much better trigger T01 true 2 stage unit.

Respond to this message   

(Login 144man)
YF12

Chrony #s will tell all

January 11 2010, 9:50 AM 

A healthy .177 should shoot between 850-880fps with 8 gr pellets. (Not sure of numbers for a .22.)

If not abused, these guns can last a lifetime.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   

(Login bigcanoe)
YF

FPS

January 11 2010, 12:58 PM 

Seller said it tests at 860fps

Respond to this message   

(Login dave5358)
YC

January 11 2010, 9:51 AM 

I would say with some certainty that the gun/seals are that old. If they weren't, then it would not be a 1988 gun.

Okay, seriously, the Diana 34 hasn't changed much over the years. You might plan on replacing the breech seal (easy). Check that the scope mount rail is tight. If you can disassemble the rifle, you could check/replace the piston seal, or possibly put in a Maccari kit. While disassembled, you could check for any rust or corrosion inside the compression chamber. Short of physical damage from accident or abuse, I can't think of much else that goes wrong.

FWIW, you can buy a new Diana 34 (bare gun) for $150 or less; combo kits for ~$200. I'm not sure that the new guns are better, but they are new. With a new rifle, you can also opt for a 16" barrel as well as several different stock options. I've railed on elsewhere about the useless pain of a 20" barrel. If you go with the used rifle, you could always shorten the barrel - not too difficult.

Respond to this message   
Eddie
(Login eddie1976E)
YC

new 34 for $150?

January 11 2010, 11:08 AM 

Dave- Do you mean new used RWS 34 for $150? Or brand new one? I have never seen a brand new RWS 34 for $150, $200 is more like it.

Respond to this message   

(Login RBest)
YFOT

$175 at Natchez Shooters Supply.

January 11 2010, 7:45 PM 

see their site. RB

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Trigger group on your gun should be a T01, I have a 36 from that period....

January 11 2010, 11:28 AM 

Current guns have a T05 Trigger group which only has one adjustment screw and the T01 has 2. Seals may or may not be good, gonna have to shoot it over the chrony and find out. Current 34's give a couple of stock options in wood and synthetic. From the period of your 34, there were some nickel plated actions with black(wood iirc) stocks available as well.

Chances are the gun will be a twangy beast for sure and benefit highly from an aftermarket spring kit.

Regards,

Tony

Respond to this message   
Soggydog
(Login soggydog)
YC

How to tell what is TO1 or TO5 trigger

January 11 2010, 12:34 PM 

Are there any stampings on the trigger group? or is the only way to tell the difference, the 2 screws vs 1 screw for adjustment?

Thanks

Jim in MN

Respond to this message   

(Login arbiter17)
YC

The trigger type is usually

January 11 2010, 12:44 PM 

etched or stamped into the spring cylinder below the breechblock.

"What we've given you is a democracy,if you
can keep it."
Benjamin Franklin

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

T05 - 1 screw, plus it should say on the receiver T05 somewhere...PICS of T05 Trigger

January 11 2010, 2:03 PM 

T01 has 2 screws and the blade is more rounded in the profile of it...

Here's pics of a T05 and a T05 Modified for the second adjustment screw:

[linked image]

[linked image]

Regards,

Tony

This message has been edited by Trojan1994 on Jan 11, 2010 2:04 PM

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Some people like the older 34's

January 11 2010, 1:09 PM 

Better trigger and they feel better workmanship, to some extent. I don't think too much has changed aside from the trigger and, of course, the stock configuration, as mentioned. On top of the compression tube it should say T01 below the Diana logo (unless it happens to have the RWS logo, instead - they were the distributor.) I went to see if I could find the ad but the search is out of whack today.

Oh, and it might need some lube, as suggested, but that's no different from the new ones that being sold today. You might use what's been given here as some bargaining chips.

Respond to this message   
Carl Rettig
(Login DremelPilot)

I have a very early 35,takes the current seals etc... no issues

January 11 2010, 1:52 PM 

I like the early triggers much better. Mine also shoots @860's with CPL's after a home tune. Mine has a very early scope rail in the tube. Unfortunately it's about 2 degrees left!!! Luckily I have some C-mounts that allow me to scope it.

But I took the scope off. The factory open sights are very nice & a globe insert in front works well even for my old eyes.

Respond to this message   

(Login ford6x6)
YF

January 11 2010, 4:38 PM 

I just bought a 34 dated Nov 1988.
It was accurate enough from the start but needed a lube tune badly.
If it wasn't freezing out I would have enjoyed it today a bit more than
I did. Frozen thumb, shakey hands. We do what we can do.

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Trigger makes a difference.

January 11 2010, 5:42 PM 

The older ones (like yours) have a much more adjustable trigger system, can get them adjusted for a nice pull, which helps a good bit.

Data for the 1993 version should be close. Stanbdard weight pellets (7.8-8.3gr.) 850-880fps. You'd think teh heavier weitghts would always be slower, but in such a narrow weight range, pellet fit to the barrel has more to do with speed than a few 1/10ths of a grain.

Good rifle...simple, reliable, and pretty easy to shoot.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 1988 RWS Diana 34
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.