<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gun Vise? Any Advise on a GREAT Gun Vise?

January 26 2010 at 11:33 AM
  (Login Airgun-Al)

Im thinking about buying a gun vise, primarily for making scope adjustments. Can anyone recomend a great vise, that is steady enough, for this purpose?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

I use one of these....

January 26 2010, 11:49 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login AEROSOAR)
YC

I picked that one up at Big 5 on sale last month

January 26 2010, 11:59 AM 

For $29.00 marked down from $ 59.00 in their national flier, what a deal.

Respond to this message   

(Login dave5358)
YC

Build your own - it's a fun woodworking project

January 26 2010, 2:47 PM 

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Bruce Dodson
(Login BDodson)
YF

Mine is Shooters Ridge

January 26 2010, 2:55 PM 

Mine is a Shooters Ridge and it works pretty good.

Bruce Dodson
AireTex Compressors
(214)402-5574 Mobile
(817)633-5505 Office
www.airetex.com

Respond to this message   

(Login jbjaholl)
YF

Dave...could you post more pics

January 27 2010, 10:41 AM 

I really like the looks of your homemade vise. Do you have more pics...or better yet...plans for the one in the photo you posted? Thanks

Respond to this message   

(Login dave5358)
YC

Re: Dave...could you post more pics

January 27 2010, 1:40 PM 

Jim:

I'm sorry, I don't have any plans. I made this up as I went, although I will freely confess to borrowing other folks' ideas. Here are some pictures, dimensions and hints that may help you to understand this critter:

It's built out of 1/2" dressed oak boards available at Lowes - 1/2" x 5-1/2" wide x various lengths - mostly 6' as I recall. I had some of these left over from a project and decided they would work for this. The overall length of the base is 30" - that length is more than adequate for any rifle, air rifle (or trains) that I have. I have a garden railroad and I built a couple of extra 'sleds' to hold equipment for servicing. The whole thing is assembled with screw fasteners. Look at the screw heads - they tell a lot about what's out of sight.

---

The vise consists of a base - 30" long x 12" wide (measured across support feet) x 5-1/2" wide (measured across top mounting surface). If you need any more dimensions, ask and I'll measure. Things like the T-slot width were adjusted by 'feel'. The support feet are screwed to the surface boards from the bottom.

[linked image]>

---

For this base, I built two 'sleds' - one for the forearm and one for the stock. Each sled attaches to the base by a guide pin and the head of a carriage bolt riding in a T-slot. The black plastic handles on the sleds also came from Lowes. Contact surfaces are covered by Marine Vinyl stapled to face boards, which are then screwed to some part of the sled.

---

The forearm support sled is pretty straight forward. The extra holes permit adjustments although I've rarely changed them. I used a saber saw to cut out the 'Y' piece and a pine board that's covered in vinyl.

[linked image]>

---

The stock butt support sled consists of a base and two upright boards. The upright boards are screwed to the edges of the sled base. 1/2" above the sled base are two threaded rods with acorn nuts on them - the rods are covered with black rubber hose. 1/2" above the rods is a hard-to-see oak board that is the same width as the sled base. It's wrapped in black vinyl, which is why it's hard to see. So, when you tighten the acorn nuts on the threaded rods, it draws the two vertical boards up very tightly against (1) the sled base and (2) the hard-to-see board. With the threaded rods tightened, the two vertical boards are rigid beyond belief - like iron! Talk about over-kill wink.gif

On the upright boards are mounted two pads - one fixed and one movable. The pad boards were actually scrap white pine, sanded to remove corners and edges and then covered in vinyl. The fixed pad is simple - just cover it and screw it on. The movable pad is pivoted internally on the captive head of a carriage bolt. The threaded part of the carriage bolt is threaded through a T-nut in the upright and then on to a black plastic T-handle.

[linked image]>

[linked image]>

I'm running out of words.

Respond to this message   

(Login jbjaholl)
YF

Thanks Dave!!!

January 27 2010, 2:59 PM 

Great pics and narrative! Have you had any problems with the vise wanting to flex when clamping?

Respond to this message   

(Login dave5358)
YC

Re: Thanks Dave!!!

January 27 2010, 7:15 PM 

Flex? Are you kidding? I've been worried about clamping the rifle too tightly and breaking the stock.

When this project was completed, I had to laugh at how much I had over-killed - it was a record even for me. Those 1/2" oak boards are very stiff. When you glue a couple of them together (the long rails) there is 'zero' flex.

Go by Lowes (or Home Depot - they have them too) and look at a 6' board. Try to flex it. Then imagine if it was only 30" long.

Respond to this message   
Sasquatch
(Login wyosasquatch)
YF

Tiptons best

January 26 2010, 3:51 PM 

I found it for about $80. I think Natchez has them. Very adjustable and solid.

Sasq.

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login Airgun-Al)

Thanks guys!

January 27 2010, 6:07 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Gun Vise? Any Advise on a GREAT Gun Vise?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.